Rip-off car servicing! Update

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander
:mad: :mad: :mad: <br /><br />Ms Deezy's car is just out of warranty so now it's down to me to do the servicing (ain't I lucky) :rolleyes: <br /><br />So 10,000 miles ago it was into the dealer to get a full service: oil and fluids and all filters changed.<br /><br />Today I jacked it up and drained the oil off. Hmmmm, oil filter seems a bit tight. Eventually got that off. Just as I'm about to throw the filter in the bag I notice the date code on it: April 2002. Hmmm, must have been made same time as the car. Then I look at the fuel filter date code: April 2002. Then I look at the air filter date code, April 2002. Pollen filter? Yep, you're ahead of me already: April 2002.<br /><br />Now the oil looks awful and stinks of diesel which may or may not be normal for a car that's done 10,000 miles since the last change but I'm very suspicious.<br /><br />Of course the clincher was when I took out the old air filter and discovered the delivery invoice from the factory still in the airbox :confused: <br /><br />You can guess where I'm going to be visiting tomorrow to try and get a few answers :D <br />All 6'6" and 320lbs of me :D <br /><br />Anybody else ever caught out a garage ripping them off?

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Rip-off car servicing! Update

Don't stop at the service desk, go straight to the owner of the dealer and have him call his service manager into his office and let him explain it to both of you.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There are crooks, liars and cheats everywhere, Stan. :( <br /><br />That doesn't make all of us crooks, liars and cheats.<br /><br />I agree with SBN. Go to the top.<br /><br />Let us know what happens.

FLATHEAD

Captain

WOW!! I smell a rat. Cant wait to hear the BS story of an excuse they try to get you to believe. <br /><br />If they did the inspections I would look at the brakes if I were you.

bigbad4cyl

Petty Officer 1st Class

not related but, did you know that when you change the oil in a diesel the oil will turn black again within 1 day or so ,,, i diddnt know that was normal and id always get upset that some one haddent changed the oil properly on my rig.

Wimperdink

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I worked in a service garage. My store manager used to cheat people regularly. He would sell tires to unsuspecting people at more than retail price.. if he couldnt get theparts ordered he would tell us to clean the old one off and put it back on.. etc etc<br /><br />I kept notes of the names, numbers, invoice #'s, and what the situation lacking in moral charater was. We butted heads on a normal basis and he would "put me on report". I would have to sign the report acknowledging I had seen it. I got out my trusty notebook and wrote my notes in the margins of his report sheet. He couldnt fire me because he couldnt turn the reports into corporate. <br /><br />Those shops are filthy with cheating salesment... I've worked in 4 of them between 2 chain companies<br />One starts with a T and ends with an ires Plus ... the other one starts with an F and ends with an irestone. They are all the same.

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

There was probably a box of replacement parts shipped to the dealer in the trunk of the car when it was new. Your caring and thoughtful dealer stored those parts at no cost to you and then installed them all at once.<br /><br /><br /> :rolleyes:

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

I smell a rat also!!<br />The dealer's invoice is the kicker. I would also go directly to the manager/owner. Don't let them keep the originals. Make a copy for them, but don't give away your evidence. Let them know you plan on filing a complaint with the BBB.<br /><br />AK Chappy

stan_deezy

Lieutenant Commander

Thansk for the replies I'll let you know what the BS is when I get back. I like the idea that they'll say "well we just stored the parts for three years" lol <br /><br />This isn't a backstreet dealership either: the company has an award scheme for rating the dealers and this one is one of only three that has been rated "Platinum", maybe because it's making such huge profits by not moving any spares stock :D <br /><br />JB: never suggested that all garages are liars and cheats: I know a few good ones and if I wasn't so mean with my money they'd get the work ;)

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

I agree with SBN and AK Chappy, go to the top, and demand a refund, since the work obviously wasn't done. In Michigan where I have my repair shop, we have a Bureau of Automotive Repair. If a consumer has a situation like yours, the BAR will investigate and the repair shop will receive severe punishment, if the rip-off can be proven.<br /><br />Don't back down, make them own up to their dishonesty, it gives the honest repair shops a bad image. And it's not fair to us, the honest shops, and especially not to you the consumer.

dtherrien

Petty Officer 1st Class

my moto is and will always be...if you want it done right,you gotto do it your self.Stan, it looks like you need to start doing your own maintance!!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

While in the Army I picked up the habit of writing the date on the oil filter when installed and dated parts as needed with a sharpie marker. My FIL suspected he was getting ripped off so we marked his filter with a marker... sure enough the shop never changed it. He got the new filter installed... a free service and they lost a good customer. Always check to see what has been done and ask to see used parts.<br /><br />Bob

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

This is right up my Alley also.. Ya , I caught mechanics doing the samething.. I think the worst was when The guy didn't tighten my Transaxle bolts and they dropped off while going into Jefferson, Oregon. Thank god , they landed on the frame.. I was so lucky. Then they come out to get the car and when I got it back they charged me on my bill. They give me this big long story too top it off.. So I did some research on the previous work that was done at the library and found out the transaxles do need to be loosen in order to reconnect the motor back to the tranny. Then to back it up I talked to 4 other shops about motor work on front wheel drives and it is impossible to put a motor in without disconnecting the drive axles.. OF Course not.. Boy did the Big boss get an ear full about the hassle and someone lost there job also.. Because they also screwed with the vacuum lines that go to the carb, and cut some of my wires too.. It took me 3 hours just to fix it and get the vacuum choke to work properly.. I was like in Full blown PMS mode.... And if you ever delt with a woman on PMS, my best advise is run and don't look back... I did get the bill ripped up, and rest was dropped also.. PMS can also stand for : pre-men-syndrome...

Barbee Q

Chief Petty Officer

PS...Stan...... They knew exactly what they were doing.. The old trick is using the airgun to blow out your air cleaner and put it back.. And do you think they really want to change a tranny filter. They were probally hoping that it would go and then they would be able to get some money out of ya.. Doing the Seal in the oil pan the engine has be lifted up on almost any truck now, because of the framing.. I have small hands and a racket set , I can fit my hand between the oil pan and frame. I did a Ford 250 and saved my neighbor 300 hundred bucks. That was the easiest 60 bucks I ever made.. The ford dealer sold him a used truck with a blown seal and wouldn't fix it.. Me myself would be looking for defects and check the lower under carriage.. Use a flashlight and make a list.. You know why lady's pack nail polish? So they can mark there parts..

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I do my own work unless it's some dirty, messy, gotta jack up the car and work on a creeper. Then; I take it to a local shop, I was referred to them when we moved up here, my comment when I get the bill usually is "are you sure you charged enough?" I'm not kidding! I wouldn't do the work for what they charged. Now, I just tell my wife to take her Voyager there -- hate to work on newer veh's.

Homerr

Commander

Although I do 99% of my own work, I started writing the date and mileage on my filters when I change them. <br /><br />That's one heck of a good idea and a dead giveaway if a shop didn't change them.<br /><br />I wouldn't mess with the peon's Stan... Go to the man in charge... The owner.<br />I'd also take at least one witness with you.<br /><br />H.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

My buddys car wouldnt start, so I started working on and and changed the spark plugs. They all looked good except the two that were incredibly hard to get to. Those were 100% carboned up.<br /><br />He told me that S___s supposedly changed them a few months earlier.<br /><br />Ken

Homerr

Commander

Sears? Shucks?<br /><br />ROFL!<br /><br /><br />I invented several new 'colorful-metaphors' when changing the back 2 plugs in my '01 Ranger.<br />As mentioned above, I do %99 of my own work...which generally includes the plugs... HOWEVER... after several hours, bruised hands and arms later... I think I may have a shop do it next time.<br /><br />Sometimes you just have to give-in!<br /><br />H.

Dunaruna

Admiral

Servicing cars has been my bread and butter for the past 25 years. <br /><br />Stans' experience is the reason why we (mechanics) are rated slightly above politicians but I truly believe that it is only a very small percentage of workshops that actively rip people off. That being said, I know a couple and their name is mud in the industry, but people still go to them - I don't understand why.<br /><br />From day one I have always kept the old parts (impossible with oil) to show the customers, most don't care, but I show them anyway. I have caught dealerships that have used the old filters or inferior quality filters, not long ago I offered to represent a customer in court because of a dealership ripoff but they (the dealership) settled out of court. <br /><br />They hate publicity. Get's your facts straight and in writing (invoices, dates etc). Then, if they won't play ball, hit them were it hurts. IMO.

demsvmejm

Master Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by Barbara Dee:<br /> This is right up my Alley also.. Ya , I caught mechanics doing the samething.. I think the worst was when The guy didn't tighten my Transaxle bolts and they dropped off while going into Jefferson, Oregon. Thank god , they landed on the frame.. I was so lucky. Then they come out to get the car and when I got it back they charged me on my bill. They give me this big long story too top it off.. So I did some research on the previous work that was done at the library and found out the transaxles do need to be loosen in order to reconnect the motor back to the tranny. Then to back it up I talked to 4 other shops about motor work on front wheel drives and it is impossible to put a motor in without disconnecting the drive axles.. OF Course not.. Boy did the Big boss get an ear full about the hassle and someone lost there job also.. Because they also screwed with the vacuum lines that go to the carb, and cut some of my wires too.. It took me 3 hours just to fix it and get the vacuum choke to work properly.. I was like in Full blown PMS mode.... And if you ever delt with a woman on PMS, my best advise is run and don't look back... I did get the bill ripped up, and rest was dropped also.. PMS can also stand for : pre-men-syndrome...
I did not quite follow your whole story, but one thing I must disagree with is in order to replace an engine in a FWD vehicle, you do not have to remove the drive axles. On some vehicles you must remove the engine and trans as a unit, and then you may have to remove the driveaxles. But not in all cases, not in most cases. With a vacuum choke(????) your experience is more than a decade old I suspect, and back then it may hae been conventional wisdom to remove the drive axles, but certainly not required.