Rigid Inflatable Boats

PowerboatDotOrg

Recruit
Hi from Ireland !<br /><br />just wondering if Rigid Inflatable Boats ( RIBs) are as popular in the US as they are here on the Atlantic Coast of Europe?

sloopy

Commander
Re: Rigid Inflatable Boats

hi this belongs in the boat section.<br /><br />they are a little popular here, the gov. uses them and alot of sailors :) use them, I think they are great boats! they come in all sizes!

dick

Chief Petty Officer

Quick where's the web police, we can't have this answered here , it will be anarchy.

Beaux

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, RIb's are more expensive but are slowly gaining popularity in the civilian market. Our U.S. military uses Rib's extensively. I have ridden on a prototype 35-37' RIB that is being produced for the NAvy Seals down in Lousiana. It was one incredible ride. Those babies have twin 500+hp diesel jet propulsion motors that can create some awe inspring turns and direction changes from very high speeds. If you like the RIB, check out this website. If i can find my pics, I wil post a few. And if you like REALLY impressive handling, I will find my pics of the all aluminum coastal attack craft. You can barely hold onto it when it reverses direction (have to wear seatbelts) <br /> RIB :cool:

Dingis

Recruit

Personally, I love using ribs in my day to day work, but unfortunately they are not that popular in the general public(with the exception of navy/uscg and commercial fisher types)I can pull off a 180 on a dime and damn near a 360 in a boat length and a half. But they are ugly as sin and some people still believe they will sink if their hook catches on the tube. At least this what I observed on the west coast-

sloopy

Commander

there are new ones out were those tubes are actualy solid fiberglass full of foam!... a little heavy but that boat wouldnever pop or tip over..... also ribs can still be used with a tube deflated...