Right on the heels of 'Dennis the Menace' comes Emily

LadyFish

Admiral
She is now a Category 3 with winds 115 gusting to 140 moving WNW at 20. She is expected to pass over the Yucatan and enter the southeastern Gulf of Mexico late Monday.<br /><br />All indications are for further strengthening. Central pressure is 968 mb.<br /><br />Another storm to watch closely. :(

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: Right on the heels of 'Dennis the Menace' comes Emily

At least SHE is properly named . . . ;) <br /><br />Good question for LadyFish. How offended were you when all Hurricanes were female? Boats?

LadyFish

Admiral

I never once thought it to be negative as a matter of fact, quite the opposite. :) I always considered it endearing that a boat be named after a women. Kind of like a man's most prized possession or something he worships. As far as storms go, I always thought it meant "one to be reckoned with." :) <br /><br />I'm pretty insulted as a matter of fact that there are now "Himicanes". Next thing you know people will be naming their vessels after men. :rolleyes:

QC

Supreme Mariner

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> "Himicanes".
LOL<br />
Originally posted by LadyFish:<br />Next thing you know people will be naming their vessels after men. :rolleyes: :D ;)
Ewe, ewe, ewe. That's just gross. Make it stop!!

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Originally posted by LadyFish:<br /> Next thing you know people will be naming their vessels after men. :rolleyes: :D ;)
That is sacrilege, i'd no sooner take bananas on board :eek:

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I get a bad feeling we will take this one accross our bow LF. We are due. :( <br /><br />Ken

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pray this one weakens quite a bit first we don't need another one this close after dennis with the high gas $$$. <br />SERENITY

Stratosfied

Ensign

This is gonna sound very selfish, but please leave us alone and go somewhere else. We have had enough for a few years. :eek:

LadyFish

Admiral

Well, she's a Cat 4 this morning with winds at 135 gusting to 160. The central pressure dropped 4 millibars in less than 2 hours and is now 952 moving WNW at 19.<br /><br />The 5 day forecast has it making landfall in South Texas 2:00 a.m. Wednesday CDT as a Cat 3 or 4. They expect it to weaken to a Cat 3 after crossing over the Yucatan.<br /> 5 Day Forecast <br /><br />If it hits anywhere south of us we will have affects such as heavy rain and tidal flooding. Our tides are just now getting back to normal after Dennis. The Houston/Galveston area has been drenched the past few days picking up over 6" of rain in some areas and its still coming. There will definetly be heavy flooding in this area with more rain from Emily.<br /><br />We should have a better idea of where she will make landfall late Sunday, but we will be preparing this weekend getting things up from the lower level of the house.

aspeck

Staff member

Be safe, Texas. Just what you need - more rain! Just saw the pictures from Huston. I think enough is enough - I know you Texans like to do everything in a big way, but that is a little ridiculous, don't you think?

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I nearly got in the boat to get to work this morning! :D <br /><br />Ken

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ladyfish are you going to bring the boat up too? ;) I know you keep it under the house. how sturdy are the stilt houses and are they strong enough to stand a hurricane? all you in Texas be safe.<br />Serenity

LadyFish

Admiral

Serenity, it look like right now they are forecasting the storm to hit between Brownsville and Corpus Christi so they will get the really bad winds. Unfortunately, we will be on the dirty side of the storm so we will have very high tides and torrential rain.<br /><br />Our boat is in a slip under the house and raised up but just a 2-3 tide would make it push through the upper deck so chances are we will be taking it out of the water Sunday. We are only 1' above MSL so any amount of rain or high tides can flood us in. During tropical storm Frances in 1998 we were stranded with 8' of water under the house for 4 days.<br /><br />We will probably put the boat on the trailer as the storm gets closer and tides rise, then move it further down the island to our daughter's house along with one of the vehicles.<br /><br />We help our neighbors get theirs out of the water too so things can get real busy, real fast when everyone starts preparing for a storm.<br /><br />Many of the surrounding houses are only weekend places so we turn off their water, electric, etc. and batton down the hatches for them too if they can't make it down in time to take care of things.<br /><br />Gonna be a busy weekend.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

LadyFish....you guys keep yer' butts' high and dry ya' hear?

Serentiy

Petty Officer 1st Class

I pray that no damage from wind or water and that God looks out for everyone from this. you All take care.<br />Serenity

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

Looks like we may have dodged this one, I hope it weakens again.<br /><br />SOunds like you will get some high tides, forecasters had it 2 feet above normal.<br /><br />Ken

LadyFish

Admiral

Yes Ken, tides are up but I don't expect they'll get much higher and we are not flooded in.<br /><br />I wonder how ob is making out in Corpus Christi.

SoulWinner

Commander

We are praying for everyone in the path of this storm, and thanking God that it went somewhere besides here. Once again, it is hard to find gas, storm debris is everwhere, and I have dulled the chains on my Stihl. God bless everyone who wil effected by this one.