Rigging for Stripers

Fly Rod

Commander
:) One method of trolling for stripers:<br />Here on the East coast, some people troll using a boat rod and a penn 113 or 114h penn reel!!! The reels mentioned are also used for deep sea cod fishing. You could also use a penn 330gti but is more exspensive!!!You could use whatever reel ya want!!! The above mentioned is just that, mentioned!!!When fishing in shallow water 20' or less you can load your reel with backing, braided dacron, #30-40- 50lb. test!! Tye on some lead core line about #40lb. test or what ever!!!! By using leadcore you can put out the number of colors desired for the depth you want to fish!!!! Tye on the monofiliment leader or leader of your choice,then the hook, tube worm or jig etc: and your ready to get some nice stripers!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy New Year!!!! :cool: :cool:

NathanY

Commander
Re: Rigging for Stripers

How big do saltwater stripers get? We generally use 20lb in freshwater.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Stripers around Cape Ann have weighed in at 54lbs. which took 1st place in our local tackle shop summer derby!!! To place in the top ten fish will average in the 40ish lb. class!!! Average fish for some of us is 25-35 lbs. with the ocassional 12-25lb. fish!!!A female striper of 36" will normally weigh in around 15-18 lbs., males 12-15lbs. Keep in mind these are average weights!!! Normally fish over 40" will get ya in the over 25lb. class!!!<br /><br />Some people do use 20 lb.test and some will go to 50lb. leaders!!! when I commercial fish for them I use 40lb. line on the reel and 40lb.leader!!! The faster ya get them to the boat the more money ya make!!! When chartering I generally 30lb. on the reel and 40lb. leader especially fishing ariund the rocks!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy New Year!!!! :cool: :cool:

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

On a little different theme I us a 65 or 80# braid with an in-line sinker (if needed at all) between the braid and the leader (40-80# depending on the season) instead of the lead core. If I want to bottom bounce I substitute a 3-way swivel for the in-line sinker and drop a bell sinker down about 3’ from the connection. <br /><br />To set the lines we count “bars”. A bar is defined as one pass of the level wind pawl across the face of the reel and is equal to approximately 10’ of line. Most keep a simple chart on board that correlates the deep achieved by varying the sinker weight and the amount of line out.<br /> <br />
double.gif

rolmops

Vice Admiral

I believe in succes.Therefor when striper fishing I use a 7 foot sabre wireline rod,a penn 113H, 200 yards of monel 40# wireline,100 yards of 80# dacron backing and on the end a 3 or 5 ounce squid jig.This whole setup is trolled in 40 feet of water on the edge of the shoals at about 2.6 miles WATERSPEED( not ground speed)so you run at different gps speeds dependent on the tide.My biggest striper this year was 51#.my 12 year old(13 by now) hauled out a 53 pounder on a tube and worm.We were lucky to hit a school of big cows on their way south.<br />How to find out where to fish in Cape cod bay?<br />Follow the charter boats.

geofthro

Seaman

I love Striper fishing with a surfcaster off the beach out at plum island mass. Every year im out there as much as i can, and sometimes at the cape, My best this year was a striper caught with clams on a 9ft surfcaster with a shimano 6500 baitrunner reel (i know big gear for out there) was 39" and filled with rowe, Cleaned it up! and got several good sized steaks out of her! GOOOOOD EATING!! :) :) I also have not long retured from Maui which i caught a 60 pound Mahi Mahi on a sport boat called "THE HINATEA". :)

Fly Rod

Commander

:) geofthro!! that Mai Mai must have been about 6foot long!!! Nice fish!!! ;) Caught one of several in the Bahamas and it was 42lbs. and 5'2"long!!!<br /><br />Rolmops!! Nice Fish!!! ;) <br /><br />What do U call a squid jig???!!!<br /><br />my interpretation is a squid jig used for catching squid which is oblong, about 3"-4" long with a bunch of needles or pin like!!!!<br />Do U customize it with a hook???? ;) :cool: <br /><br />Happy New Year!!!! :cool: :cool:

rolmops

Vice Admiral

It was on the north end of the Long Island sound,wireline trolling.We got lucky enough to hear the fat lady singing.It was a bit very rough water though.Bad enough to have the bilge pump kicking in every five or ten minutes.<br />What I call a squid rig is a home invention probably very simular to commercial type jigs.It is a 3 or 5 ounce lead head with shiny eyes and a big fat hook.<br />I strap 4 inch long green rough "hair" around the rear half of the head,covering the hook shaft, but not the point.It does not look like shrimp or shad or squid.It does trigger blues and stripers.Dogfish and skates ignore it.<br />Just yesterday I saw skate filet for sale at $9 a pound.What is that all about?<br />Happy new year.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) After "UUUUU!!" catching them big striped bass sows the only thing left to sell are skate wings!!!!! :p :p <br /><br />They use to sell and cut skate wings and sell them as scallops!!! Believe it or not!!!!!<br /><br />They sell the mako shark tail section as sword fish and U can't tell the differance!!! ;) :cool:

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I really do not understand all the heavy gear for stripers. Out here Derby winers will be 40 to 45 pounds. Most people use from 14 to 30 pound. I use a 9 foot rod rated 15 to 30 with a 30 pound test Spectra line. Reel 320 gti, 310 gti, abu 6500C3 most popular in casting. Shamono 4500 or 6500 bait runners popular for bait fishing. I would never use one of my 113H penns with a heavy boat rod of stripers. I would use it for Shark or big halibut up north. <br /><br />Ocean, most are fishing the surf with live anchovies and tiny weights or flylining. <br /><br />Inland most use Shad minows, Bullheads or mud suckers. Some use sardine cut baits.<br /><br />Trolling mostly inland flatfish and a jig together.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Boatist!<br />The context of my previous post does not mean that everybody uses that setup!!! That is just one method that is used around here!!!!<br /><br />My main set up is a 850 Penn spinning reel and a light to medium spinning rod with 40lb. test mono and 40lb. flurocarbon used when commercial fishing!!! The faster i haual them to the boat the more money i make!!! I can't play the fish!!! ;) :cool: <br /><br />When charter fishing we use 30lb. mono with 40lb. flourocarbon,mainly because we fish amongest,rocks, boulders ,jetties and them stripers head for them obstacles trying to break the line chafing aganist them rocks!!! ;) :cool:

Boatist

Rear Admiral

Flyrod I understand hauling them in for profit, I only fish for fun.

Fly Rod

Commander

:) I do too, before and after the striped bass season that last about 12 days over a three week period, we are allowed to catch a quota of one million pounds +, throughout the state fishing 4 days a week Sunday-Wednesday with a catch limit of I think 20 fish a day!! It use to be 30 fish per day!!! Average price of a striper at the auction is 40-60 bucks per fish depending on weight usually around 3-3.50 per lb. All commercially sold fish have to be over 34" !! Average 36" female here weighs 15-18lbs.!!!! ;) :cool: