rigging for cod

rolmops

Vice Admiral
We( me and my 14 year old) and some friends chartered a boat for March 10th and we are starting to prepare our gear.So far we have 2 20 to 40 pound 6.6' ugly sticks with tidewater reels on them.These would be for bait fishing because the tips are not too stiff.For jigging we have an 8' ugly stick with a Penn 330GTI,a 7.10' Penn Black Sabre with a Senator 112 (3.85:1) and a Penn Jigmaster 500 as a spare.We have the Norwegian jigs(16 and 20 ounce), the teasers and of course plenty of heavy lead sinkers anywhere between 14 ounce to 22 ounce.So far so good.<br />Now for the line.We decided to go with dacron braided line.The Fishing Connection Woodstock braided dacron(New England made,NOT China).We are not sure what strength to use.We are torn between the 50 pound and the 80 pound version,Specially because the Tidewater reels are really made for 330 yards of 20 pound mono.<br />I compared the 80 pound dacron which is supposedly 0.020 diameter to some fifty pound Berkly mono supposedly 0.028 diameter under the magnifying glass and it seems that the mono is a bit thinner.(go figure :confused: )The fifty pound braided line is supposedly 0.018,which would enable me to put some more line on the tidewaters.<br />What I need to know is what fishermen who use braided dacron would prefer,50 or 80,or maybe something altogether different.Remember,we will be hauling fish anywhere between 10 and 60 pounds off the bottom at 2 or 3 hundred feet.<br />Also what do carboloid guides do to braided line?<br />Thanks for your thoughts and ideas.

flounderman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: rigging for cod

Check out neangling.com (?) they have a couple of videos on cod and info online about their trip. If the web address is not right try "North East Angling" search. I use 50#tuff line on a Penn 209 & 65#power pro on a Penn 345 gti. You need to put roller tips on your rods. The weight of the fish and amount of line you are reeling in will flatten your line as well as cut a groove in a non-roller tip,these lines are thin and strong. don't confuse braided dacron (I used it 40 years ago)with the new super lines.I have 300yds of 50 on the 209 but I have 300yds of 65 plus about 130yds of 50# mono as backing under the 65# on the 345. You can install the tips your self as well as put the line on your reels, - - - however take it all to a good pro shop and have it done. When I was a kid in the early 50's we would cod fish in Cape Cod Bay useing drop lines with clam for bait. good luck-- Jerry

Fly Rod

Commander
Re: rigging for cod

:) Hello!!!<br />here is what I use on my boat, Penn Senator 6'6"<br />rod with a 114H Penn reel combo cost new about $160.00!!! I only buy the combos because if bought seperate would cost almost 200 bucks 80lb. dacron with a big snap swivel, 50-80lb. flourocarbon, 5'long leader, tie loop on each end snap swivel attached to bottom end and 2 loops spaced in middle add two hooks and clam bait!!! <br /><br />On that bottom swivel you can add a sinker 20oz. anyway or 16oz. or bigger jigs if you prefer to jig!!! When using bait make sure sinker stays on bottom be very careful not to get hung up!!!<br /><br />why carry all that gear kevin provides all the gear!!!<br /><br />Remember the orange glove!!!! ;) :cool: