rigging 25 & 6 hp on 16' Alumacraft VT utility

Dovekie

Seaman Apprentice
I would like to be able to mount a 6 hp longshaft 4-stroke alongside my remote helm 25 hp 2 stroke (both Nissan) on an Alumacraft 16 VT, 20" hght & 63" width transom, the 6 hp for periodic or emergency use. At present, as the 25 hp is mounted direct to transom & on centreline, the teleflex type steer cable & piston does not readily allow mounting of 6 hp alongside on semi-permanent basis (although i have not actually tried this yet).

With present set-up, carrying 6 hp inboard per mfr direction, in a pinch, i can unbolt the 25 hp, slide the unit & steering stbd sufficient to mount spare although this would not be convenient or easy at sea.

A benefit of carrying my spare inboard is in reducing potential issues in regard to relatively high tilt angle of the 4 stroke such as base-oil or fuel (in carb) leakage & stress/vibration on the 6 hp underway & trailering that are more likely because of the required distance outboard fr. centre-line to clear the 25 hp turn radius Carrying 6 hp inboard (in cradle on side per mfr directions) also helps maintain lateral stability on my relatively narrow (70" beam) vsl. but this also mean I am less likely run the spare regularly &/or for trolling/slow speed or f/w travel, and more importantly, for rapid deployment in case of breakdown. I go on but perhaps you get the picture ;- )

In future, I hope to install a CMC PT35 unit (5&1/2" setback, 11&1/2" width) on which the 25 hp would be mounted & it seems that this would certainly require a stern bracket for the 6. i would like to set up so that 25 hp on PTT is centreline & if possible, the 6 hp is mounted on bracket & linked for steering. Finally, i would like to avoid using an adjustable bracket for spare.

Cowling width of the motors are 13" & 12&1/2 " respectively for 25 hp & 6 hp. The 6 does not have a tube for steering piston. When i've figured out how to do so, will post pictures.

This is difficult list of requirements perhaps & one obvious answer is to get a bigger boat however this is not possible at present. i hope that someone on this forum might have seen or have experience with a similar set up that works, and if so really appreciate advice. As may be obvious, i've never rigged two motors before.

Thanks for your help.

Dovekie

Seaman Apprentice
Re: rigging 25 & 6 hp on 16' Alumacraft VT utility

Input is appreciated. i apologize for lengthy posting. Pictures of similar main + spare set-up are welcome.
Thanks !

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: rigging 25 & 6 hp on 16' Alumacraft VT utility

i think you just need to mount an adjustable troller bracket. balancing the weight of a 4 stroke is going to be the trick, and the extra weight on the transom