Reving a 40 hp evinrude in the driveway

Bill Collector

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm new to outboard motors and was wondering something. I have a good familiarity with jet skis and when I would fire up the skis in the driveway they would scream as a two stroke motor should. Well I have this outboard motor now and got her all set to run with rebuilt carbs and 124 pounds compression in both cylinders. I fire it up and she runs great. I reved it a few times and it sounds fine. I'm curious if I should be hearing it rev like a dirt bike or a jet ski. The motor seems more reserved. How should a 40 outboard act out of the water?

dolluper

Captain
Re: Reving a 40 hp evinrude in the driveway

Like a dead fish out of the water Outboards don't like to rev high without water cooling them and even on the muffs HIGH REVING KILLS THEM just like a dead fish

fireman57

Captain

don't rev it over 1800 - 2000 rpms in neutral or it will be a dead fish.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I know what you mean about the sound. The motor has a completely different exhaust system design and when run out of water has a bit of a low hollow tone.<br /><br />You might not be able to rev it much without putting it in gear because of the limit the high idle has in neutral.<br /><br />If it starts and idles nice, thats good. Don't rev because you can eat up the water pump if your running on a garden hose.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Two stroke outboards can go into thermal runaway if revved with no load.<br /><br />That often results in it turning into a grenade.<br /><br />Don't do it, at least don't do over about 1500rpm.

rabidfish

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Ditto!<br /><br />This is absolutely true. Do not rev it over 1500 or so.<br /><br />That particular engine was prone to it.<br />If you never had one do it, well... lets just say this... you don't want to be one. 5000-6000 rpms with no load, and no way to shut it off! even the kill switch will do absolutely nothing for you!<br /><br />It's not good for your heart!