reversed battery cable by accident

goatboy41

Recruit
What an idiot. Have two batteries in my '69 whaler, one is for running my 1983 25hp evinrude. The other is a spare. The first was dead s I quickly swithed the wires to the second without looking at te terminals. I had turned the other battery the opposite way as the first to make hooking up the cables easier. In my haste I touched the negative to the positive terminal and lo and behold smole out of the engine. I popped the hood and it looks like a fusable link may have blown. The red wire is completely out of the insulation. Have I fried my ignition system or is this a stop gap to future problems? I have a manual but it does not show this part of the engine.
Help

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: reversed battery cable by accident

99% you blew the rectifier, was the Key in the on position, if so maybe more.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Are you swapping batteries while the engine is running? That's a no-no. As said, you certainly did cook the alternator rectifier.

goatboy41

Recruit

the engine was off and I believe the key was in the off position

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

So you probably have only damaged the rectifier. It would be a good idea to disconnect the rectifier before you make any repairs.

goatboy41

Recruit

I don't mean to sound like an idiot but where is the rectifier. I have the manual but can't get a definitive position on it. Is it difficult to replace? I have done the power pack before.
thanks for all your help