Reverse STill not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckoningu

Cadet
Can you (SS MAYFLOAT) help me in more detail. I don't know where the the shifter foot is and how I can tell if this is my problem......Becky

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
Re: Reverse STill not working

Oh Boy, I think the first thing you should get is a manual. It is possible to see the items that I am talking about, but unless you know exactly what your looking for, you probably won't see it. The shifting mechanism is located in the front part of the outdrive. There is a small opening underneath, infront, and just below where the bellows are located. The shoe and foot is what couples the shifting linkage together. The foot comes up from the lower unit. It is usually made of brass. At the top of it is a piece of stainless that has two edges to that is about 1/2 inch wide. The brass foot should be cradeled within the two edges of the stainless shoe. If it is not iside the shoe, the lower unit will have to be lowered, and carefully put back in place with the foot in the shoe. Hopefully it didn't get bent if it was out of alignment. Been there and done that, found a used foot and paid attention to detail. Rule of thumb; If you have to force any of the parts on an outdrive to line up or go on, SOMETHINGS WRONG! Hope this help you, if not someone else may have an easier way of explaining it. Good Luck

Beckoningu

Cadet

You know what? I don't think that my lower unit was taken off. I think that all he did was change the oil in it? Could that have caused this to happened.(looking for my manual, I know I have it somewhere)..... : ) ...Becky

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Becky:<br /><br />Trent recently posted a step by step procedure for removing/reinstalling a MerCruiser lower unit. I believe this is the best info you can get without the factory manual.<br /><br />Search for "Dirty ****s" post. Trent's reply is on one of them. D-****s member number is 1178.<br /><br />Hope this helps.<br /><br />Walt

Walter

No...changing the outdrive oil will not cause what you are experiencing....not if he did the proper procedure. You may have a bad shift cable or something else in the shift linkage is hosed.<br /><br />If you aren't the "do it yourself" type...then your options are limited. If you do want to tackle this job...as was suggested...you need a factory manual. <br /><br />Where in Washington are you? I have a buddy that may be able to help you out...<br /><br />You can e-mail me at salingwa@hotmail.com<br /><br />Good luck!<br /><br />Walt

Beckoningu

Cadet

I found the brass foot and the shoe just like you said and thats all fine? anyother ides for me? Thaks Becky

Walter

By the way...<br /><br />You said you have no reverse since the gear oil was changed. Are you saying everything worked fine before that? Do you know for certain changing the gear lube was the only thing this fella did? The more info the better...<br /><br />Imagine you're looking down at the stainless shift foot. In forward gear...the foot should be pointed straight ahead toward the boat transom....in other words...12:00. Neutral should be approx. 11:00, and reverse approx. 10:00<br />Can you have someone move the throttle/shift selector handle (@ the helm) while you watch for the shift foot to rotate to these positions. In forward gear your prop should not turn counterclock wise. In neutral it should turn freely in both directions. In reverse it should not turn clockwise. Test for this in each position the helm gear selector is moved to. Try that...let us know what you find.<br /><br />Walt<br /><br />Walt

Beckoningu

Cadet

The shift boot seemed fine. The forward is fine . neutral...good,but reverse spins freely in both directions?... : ) Becky

Status
Not open for further replies.