reverse rotation

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok so this is my first twin engine gas boat, i need to replace the reverse rotation motor, I looked on Rapio Marines site. It looks like they are saying the only difference in the motors is the fireing order, and the starter?? is this correct? Can i just get a long block from them and set the fireing order and swap the other parts? Also it is a 1983 boat, and the motor has been changed, can i just get the newer '86 and up motor, or do i need to get the same one that is in it?

Thanks!

Bondo

Staff member
Re: reverse rotation

Ok so this is my first twin engine gas boat, i need to replace the reverse rotation motor, I looked on Rapio Marines site. It looks like they are saying the only difference in the motors is the fireing order, and the starter?? is this correct? Can i just get a long block from them and set the fireing order and swap the other parts? Also it is a 1983 boat, and the motor has been changed, can i just get the newer '86 and up motor, or do i need to get the same one that is in it?

Thanks!

Ayuh,.. Only in how it's installed, it's built differently, internally...

That's determined by what's hooked To it...
You haven't said what that is...

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ayuh,.. Only in how it's installed, it's built differently, internally...

That's determined by what's hooked To it...
You haven't said what that is...

yeah sorry, its an 83 carver 28' mariner, with twin 350 v-drives, and borg and warner velvet drive tranys, I know the port motor is reverse rotation, cause it has Reverse rotation stickers all over it! lol the boat originaly came with 305's however somewhere along the line they got changed to 350's, the port motor is a marine power replacement. thats about all the info i know!

Bondo

Staff member

with twin 350 v-drives, and borg and warner velvet drive tranys,

Ayuh,... Without knowing the vintage of the 350s, ya don't really know whatcha got yet...

I'll Assume the V-drives connect through a Flywheel mounted connection, 'n not a Crankshaft mounted connection....
If that's the case, you'll just need the Flywheel to match whatever vintage block ya wanta use...

Divecaptchris

Petty Officer 2nd Class

no, the motor has a trany connected to it then there is a shaft that connects the trany to the v-drive, I have no idea what the trany to flywheel connectiion is YET!

sasto

Captain

LH rotation and RH have different camshafts.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Check your transmission numbers on the Borg Warner site. The have producing them for a while now that will run on either LH or RH rotation. It's simply a matter of switching the shift cable. Not sure if yours with do that or not, depending on year. You may be able to go with a standard rotation engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The have producing them for a while now that will run on either LH or RH rotation. It's simply a matter of switching the shift cable.

Not true, one of those myths that keeps on going. The internals are set up for one direction or the other.

Here is a link to the Mercruiser service manual for that year engines. Go through the engine section to see all the differences in a RH and LH rotation engine. http://www.4shared.com/document/M35B2RL4/Service_Manual_03.html

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

Not true, one of those myths that keeps on going. The internals are set up for one direction or the other.

Thanks Don. I was just re-reading the BW site and there are 4 series of transmissions that are designated either LH or RH rotation only. The other 5 series of transmissions can be used on either LH or RH rotation, but it isn't the shift lever that needs to be switched, it entails unbolting the pump on the front and simply reorienting it.

Lyle29464

Lieutenant

I believe all BW transmissions will adapt to a left or right engine. Turning the front pump to line up the arrow is an external operation and only requires a minute. It is the output that can not be changed. He is using a reverse turn engine on the port side because the V drive requires the engine to set backwards.