Reverse problems

labguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys,

I have an 88 Dynasty with a 88 Mercruiser 3.0L and I just finished draining the gear oil, removing lower unit, changing the impeller, and re-installing the lower unit. Now, it will go into forward with ease but it will not go into reverse from the gear shift. I haven't filled it with gear oil yet. Wanted to make sure I had it installed correctly before I do that. Any ideas as to why it will not go into reverse. Thanks, Don

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Reverse problems

Ayuh,... Did you rotate the shaft slightly,..??

I'd drop it,+ stab it again, hoping I could find the Problem,...

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Yup, everything needs to be lined up when you reinstall the drive, hopefullt you didn't bent the shift shaft when you bolted the lower back on.

BAYLINER185

Chief Petty Officer

if your shift handle is in nutral the lower needs to be in neutral. Verify what gear its in and make sure the lower is in the same gear as your shift handle when you re install the lower. Sounds like a simple mistake.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

No matter what, the drive must be in foreward when the upper & lower are mated together....
The intermediate shift shaft must be facing directly forward as well.....
If you left the upper half of the drive on the boat, the helm must be in foreward & you will have to put it in foreward to install the drive on the boat....
Turn the shift shaft clockwise & the prop ccw until it locks in gear....
You must maintain light pressure to insure it stays in gear while mating them together.....
Sometimes you must jiggle the intermediate shaft to get the splines to index properly....
Don't forget the steel washer that goes over the shift shaft....
Whatever you do, don't force it together...;)