Reverse Lock

sportyinc

Seaman
The first time I removed the lower end, I ignored the manuals advise to put the motor in Forward first. I had it in neutral. End result- When reassembled, the reverse lock engaged in forward but disengaged in reverse.

I have a '72 1150 Long shaft motor

I searched the iBoats Forum and found a post advising the owner to put the reverse lock rod in the center hole of the guide. My guide has two holes (plus two indentations), one appears to be for the speedometer tube and one that the reverse lock fits right into. I placed the guide with the speedo tube in one hole and the reverse lock in the other and now I have no reverse lock at all.

The Seloc manual I have doesn't even mention the reverse lock or the guide at all. Any help putting the reverse lock back to original condition would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Re: Reverse Lock

I suspect you have more issues than the reverse lock rod. I suspect your gears are wrong.

The prop should rachet when turned CW in forward. Let us know what it does, and we can assist. It is likely you need to drop the gearcase, put the control and gears into the real neutral and reassemble.

sportyinc

Seaman

WingedWheel, thanks for the input. The actual part that I am referring to is part #19 here:

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...25440/DRIVE SHAFT HOUSING ASSEMBLY/parts.html

This is part #52887 and it's name is: "Guide, Push Rod, Reverse Locking".

I hope I am just putting it together wrong. This part is NLA.

I am still unable to find a description or drawing of the correct way to assemble the rod to the guide. There are two indentations, one on each side of the hole in the guide. Maybe it's one of those?
Actually, there are two holes in the guide and I believe one is for the speedometer tube. I will try the indentations next. The guide because of the way it mounts can only go in one way.

Thanks,

sporty

sportyinc

Seaman

I suspect you have more issues than the reverse lock rod. I suspect your gears are wrong.

The prop should rachet when turned CW in forward. Let us know what it does, and we can assist. It is likely you need to drop the gearcase, put the control and gears into the real neutral and reassemble.

Chris1956,
This forum is so great because someone always thinks of details that I didn't.

The prop (viewed from the rear) will not turn CCW but WILL ratchet CW in all three gears (forward, neutral, reverse).
All my Seloc manual says is that the Cam-Shift Type I lower end (which I have) should not turn CCW in Forward or Reverse. Can't find anything about neutral.

I've got serial #3368630.

Thanks,

sporty

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

OK, your motor is always in forward. You need to drop the gearcase and turn the shift rod CCW until it clicks into neutral. Set the Mercontrol to neutral as well. Install the gearcase, using your hand to turn the flywheel to align the driveshaft. You may need to rock the throttle handle a bit to line up the shift shaft. Don't forget to install the reverse lock rod as well.

Now test the gears. Rachet CW is forward. Spin free is neutral. 1/2 turn in either direction is reverse.

Motor should not be locked down in forward, but will be locked down in neutral and reverse.

Put the tilt pin in the second hole from the transom for starters. You can move it up a hole or two to adjust for best running.

sportyinc

Seaman

Thanks for the info. I will drop the lower end again.
Am I correct that the "Reverse Lockout" rod goes into the hole in the pushrod guide (part #52887) left after installing the speedo tube?
For some reason Boats.net does not show what I call the speedometer tube. On my engine, there is a tube about the same size as the reverse lockout rod and it uses one of the holes in the guide. The guide has two holes.
There are also two indentations in the guide, , one on each side of the hole for the "reverse lock rod".
I understand that the reverse lockout rod goes into the hole and not the indentations.
Can you confirm?

Thanks again,
sporty

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

I never thought your motor had a speedometer pitot built in. That would be in the front of the gearcase anyway.

The reverse lockout rod rides on the plastic cam on the shift shaft. When the shift shaft turns, the rod rides up and down, on the cam. The hole for it is right next to the shift shaft.

sportyinc

Seaman

Thanks again.

I'll try to take a picture of the tube when I drop the lower end and maybe someone can discover what it is.

Looking again at the diagram of the "Drive Shaft Housing" (part #11) on Boats.net,
HERE:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...25440/DRIVE SHAFT HOUSING ASSEMBLY/parts.html,
the only part that even comes close is the Water Tube, part #32-37438.
I'll still try for a picture.

Thanks,

sporty

Last edited:

sportyinc

Seaman

O.K., I think I've got it now. I am getting two parts mixed up.
I was looking at the "Reverse Lock Guide" which evidently only guides the rod (and an unknown tube) . The actual cam that controls the reverse lock is a cam that rides on the shift shaft.

It took a while, especially since these two parts are on different pages at Boats.net.

Thanks for all the help.

sporty