reverse is forward and vise versa

kenk

Cadet
I installed a new switch in my control box, carefully matching green to green blue to blue and purple to purple. Took is out yesterday and when I shifted into reverse the boat when forward and vise versa when in forward the boat went into reverse.<br /><br />Is it possible the wires were different. This is for a 71 Johnson 60 hp w/ hydro-electric shift. I don't mind so much using reverse for forward but I don't think you can get to WOT this way. Any suggestions are appreciated. :eek:

TimW

Seaman Apprentice
Re: reverse is forward and vise versa

I don't think anything would be hurt by just switching the wires. Sounds to me like the factory might have wired a batch backwards.

kenk

Cadet

Yes my battery is hooked up correct. According to the repair manual:<br /><br />Green = Neutral<br />Blue = Reverse<br />Purple = Forward<br /><br />I tried switching the wires in the control box for the blue and purple wire and I had no neutral. I believe the wires are messed up. Has anyone bought a replacement switch and found out the same thing.

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that neutral is power to the green wire and reverse is power to both the green and blue wire.<br /><br />No power to both is forward.

papasage

Senior Chief Petty Officer

shift diod could be bad

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Ken.... I don't know which shift switch you purchased, but there are two different type electric shift lower units and the switches do not interchange.<br />---------------<br /><br />Straight Electric Shift (1962 to 1970/72.. somewhere in there)<br /><br />12v to Green = Forward<br />12v to Blue = Reverse<br />No voltage applied = Neutral<br />Purple = 12 volt supply<br /><br />-----------------------<br /><br />Hydro Electric Shift (1968 to 1972)<br /><br />12v to Green = Neutral<br />12v to both Blue & Green = Reverse<br />No voltage aplied to Green or Blue = Forward<br />Purple = 12 volt supply<br /><br />Hopefully this gives you something to work with.

kenk

Cadet

Thanks Jim and others that does help. I have the hydro-electric shift but I didn't check which shift switch I bought. I will try moving the 12v purple supply around until I get the correct shift response.

kenk

Cadet

Jim, <br />I did get the electrical shift switch instead of the hydro electric shift. I cut the end connector off so I could wire it inside of the shift box, sending it back is not an option. Is there a way to make this one work or do I chalk this up to "new boat owners learning experience".

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

Unless you want me to start calling you Henry, try to remember that my name is Joe, not Jim.<br /><br />Frankly Ken, I have no idea if that switch can be rewired to operate your shift setup or not. However, you've nothing to lose by trying.<br /><br />Just keep my notes handy as to what voltage goes where to do what. Good Luck.

Hooty

Rear Admiral

Using Jim's err I mean Joe's notes, it will be a lot eaiser using a vom rather then practicing on the gear box itself. ;) <br /><br />c/6<br /><br />Hooty

kenk

Cadet

Sorry Joe, I was talking to a gentlemen named Jim on the phone the same time I was posting the message.

AUGIDAWG

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If the wires are all correct, remember a 2-stroke will run backwards just fine if the timing is off.