Reverse Gear on an Alpha I drive

balbarracin

Cadet
Should you be able to turn the prop by hand when it is in reverse? With the motor off of course. When it is in forward I can only turn it one way. But in reverse it turns both ways and makes a clicking noise.

FreeBeeTony

Captain
Re: Reverse Gear on an Alpha I drive

Sounds like you lower cable is not adjusted properly.

f_inscreenname

Commander

Yea that is what it sounds like. The gears are clicking past each other instead of fully locking in.

balbarracin

Cadet

I found out what the problem was. I had just purchased the boat from an individual and he had the lower water pump replaced and supposable new drive oil put in. Unless the new oil is water it was not done.<br /><br />This is a very costly mistake.

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The oil wouldn't cause the problem you are talking about. the only posiblity there would be that they didn't get the end shift linkage engaged properly where the outdrive seperates. That is ounless you are saying the becuase there was no oil the unit is trashed. there should be no water in it.

sculbert

Petty Officer 2nd Class

or you have a cable adjustment problem or a problem with the gears internally.

Rickles

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The clicking noise is the clutch dog trying to engage in rev.Try to adjust the cable but i'll bet it's the cable binding and will have to be replaced.If you have water in the gear oil have the drive pulled off and pressure/vacuum tested to find the leak.At that point you'll know if the repair is minor or big bucks.when the drive is off replace the cable if no leak was found.