Revenue Via the State??

SoulWinner

Commander
Here is an idea I had the other day, is it stupid??<br /><br />I think the federal govt should receive their revenue from the states. States should be responsible for obtaining all monies through taxation within each respective state, then fulfill the budget and decide how much the fed gets. That way taxation is done by politicians close to the voters, and people could vote for higher or lower taxes, as well as what programs they don't wish to financially support. (60% of the federal budget is for entitlement programs......how the heck is someone other than me "entitled" to my hard earned money??) All entitlements, including social security should be handled by the states, not the federal government. That way each state could address needs that are specific to that state, rather than having a cumbersome inefficient bureaucracy meet out "one size fits all" solutions to the nations poverty, health care, insurance needs. <br /><br />What do you think? Is it a dumb idea, or is it possible??

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Revenue Via the State??

Seems logical, SW, but we had a big war a century or so ago about whether states could make their own rules vs. the federal government.<br /><br />That is when the term "The United States of America" changed from a plural term to a singular term.

Link

Rear Admiral

Well put JB<br />SW I do agree with you on this. But its not going to happen 200 years later. It's 2am my time and bed time for me as I need to be up at 8am. I'm a bit younger than JB and only need 6 hours of sleep :D (this year) next year??? OK I'm not that far behinf JB! :) Tomorrow night I'll explain it farther.<br />Link

PW2

Commander

Well, it is a silly idea for any number of reasons.<br /><br />What you would see is a vast migration of people into states that have low rates when they don't need the services, and then return to the relatively generous states when they need them.<br /><br />This is but one example, and there are plenty of others.