Rev limiter

Julian Smart

Cadet
Hi
I have just bought a 50hp 1997 Yamaha fitted to a zapcat, I wanted to make sure that the rev limiter had not been disabled, I don't think it has as it sounds ok when driving but want to make sure as it is often disabled on these boats to get more speed. Does anyone know how i would check this.
Many thanks
Julian

deejaycee_2000

Captain
Re: Rev limiter

Hi Julian ...... do you know if the motor have been blueprinted? If it has they would have disabled it, if the motor is stock standard it would not have been disabled as it is against the rules in zapcat racing for the stock standard engines .... do you know if the boat have been raced or not? ......

Julian Smart

Cadet

What is blueprinted, I don't think it has ever been raced as it came with a bag of patches including footstraps and I have had to fit straps for the co-pilot and i figured if it had been raced these would have been fitted. The start in gear has been disabled though and I wanted to be sure the rev limiter was still operational.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

Blueprint is when they modify the motor to a certain point to the specs of the regulations allowed ..... if there was no foot straps for the co-pilot then yes it was definately not raced ..... it will never start in gear, in fact you won't be able to pull it when it is in gear ..... and by the sounds of it I now doubt they removed the limiter ..... enjoy it, driving a zapcat over huge waves is fun ... be safe ... :)

Julian Smart

Cadet

Hi
Thanks for the info but mine can be started in gear and it was because of this that I wanted to check the rev limiter had not also been disabled. I am a member of SLSA and have a lot of experience in an Arancia but this zapcat is very different any tips you have for driving in surf would be much appreciated eg parallel running, from the videos I have watch waves that you would turn into in an arancia they continue to stay parallel, also when coming in over the back of a wave is there any risk of the nose going under as they are alot flatter than the arancias and all shots of zapcats coming in they are always airbourne and don't actually drive down the wave face. I have only just bought it and been out in very small surf at the moment about 2 foot and don't really intend to go out in anything bigger than about 6-8 feet, see how it goes.
Julian

deejaycee_2000

Captain

when you drive in surf you need to change to a power prop, 14 pitch, and 16 pitch for longhuaI, I would not recomend going parralel in the wave unless it is small ...... if you go over the back of the wave you need to do so WOT and the co-pilot needs to sit back as far as possible to avoid doing a nose-dive, the co-pilot is very important and he must know his stuff .... facing a wave head on the co-pilot needs to be as far to the front as possible, and never jump a huge wave just before it breaks, small ones are fine ..... enjoy it, as you grow more confidence the bigger the waves you will take on, it's addictive ..... :)

Julian Smart

Cadet

Thanks for that all same as with Arancia then I wasn't sure as with the cat hull it handles quite differently to the Arancia. Will go and play this weekend.
Julian