reuse of connecting rod bolts

blgrams

Seaman Apprentice
how safe is it to re-use the connecting rod bolts during rebuild? One piston siezed up on a 2 cylinder 40 hp and I am rebuilding it. I am replacing both pistons and rings and one rod but I am re-using the other rod. the bolts on this rod do not look bad and seemed to torque ok should I delay the job and order replacement rod bolts? it is not the money $6.00 but the delay. The summer fishing season in MN is short!

voodoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: reuse of connecting rod bolts

don't worry about it, just be sure you use the right cap in the right direction (they are matched pairs)

blgrams

Seaman Apprentice

many thanks, that is what I thought except that the main part of the damage to the upper cylinder was the distroyed rod berring.<br /><br /><br />Minnesota: many are cold but few are frozen

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

There are those who will advise you to use only new rod bolts on a rebuild.

P.V.

Chief Petty Officer

Additionally, there are those who tell you to always use new bearings throughout your engine when rebuilding!! I guess they are trying to cover their rear!(and don't have any confidence in their abilities??). And some wonder why a rebuild can cost big-time money!!! If there is ANY doubt physically, I would say, replace, if not, reuse!

Walker

Captain

Has nothing to do with abilities. A rebuilt motor should be just that. Rebuilt not patched.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

For what it's worth, since 1961 pertaining to the two or three engines I've rebuilt, I have always reused the original connecting rod bolts. The exception being of course if one was damaged in any way.

walleyehed

Admiral

Whatever works for ya...use it but J/E states to replace ANY rodblot if dissasembled for any reason.

stairliftoheaven

Petty Officer 2nd Class

clymer manual says "discard used cap bolts"<br />good luck

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

I have had some break when retorqueing. I never reuse them. they are cheap. good luck and keep posting

blgrams

Seaman Apprentice

well I think I have decided to risk it and reuse them for now and replace them this winter or early next spring. thanks for the posts. It's not doing the mechanical work that is the problem in a project like this but getting the imformation to do it right, especially when the cost of a mistake is so high. the only reason I am rebuilding this is that it had been stored for 4 years by my dad and when I cleaned it up and put it back into service I missed a clogged high speed orifice in the upper carb.

Walker

Captain

especially when the cost of a mistake is so high.
Exactly my view. Rodbolts cost about $1.80 in my part of the country. You only need 4 of them. How costly could a broken rod bolt be?