Restoring salt pitted stainless steel

Wireman300

Recruit
Just picked up an 89 Starcraft MR 210 that lived on the coast.....how do I restore salt pitted windshield rail frame and bow light?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Replace 'em,......

If these are original oem parts, the windshield frame is anodized aluminum, 'n the light is chrome plated zmac,.....

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Stainless can get very small rust spots which are visible if you look close, but it doesn't corrode. At least any decent SS will not corrode.

Chrome plated hardware is fine for freshwater, but pits and peels near salt water. Aluminum will get white powder (alum oxide) on it and some pitting after a long salt water experience. Some alloys are more corrosion resistant than others.

Other metals used in saltwater are silicone bronze, brass, chrome plated brass and copper.

Wireman300

Recruit
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Replace 'em,......

If these are original oem parts, the windshield frame is anodized aluminum, 'n the light is chrome plated zmac,.....
Thank you.....having a hard time finding replacement, which is why I asked. Any idea where I can find replacement parts for 89 starcraft MR 210 or 83 MR 180? Have both in need of windshield frames

Bondo

Staff member
Thank you.....having a hard time finding replacement, which is why I asked. Any idea where I can find replacement parts for 89 starcraft MR 210 or 83 MR 180? Have both in need of windshield frames
Ayuh,.... You may, or may not find an exact copy of the lights, 'n other hardware, but there are oddles of new,....

The windshield might be tough,..... How bad is it,..??

robert graham

Admiral
My brother-in - law in Florida has a 33 ft. World-cat with anodized aluminum t-top, pitted from saltwater….his plan is to remove it, sand off corrosion and powder coat the entire top in a white color to match the boat….sounds like a lot of work but it should look good when complete….maybe powder coat your parts would be a possible solution?….

mr 88

Commander
My brother-in - law in Florida has a 33 ft. World-cat with anodized aluminum t-top, pitted from saltwater….his plan is to remove it, sand off corrosion and powder coat the entire top in a white color to match the boat….sounds like a lot of work but it should look good when complete….maybe powder coat your parts would be a possible solution?….
You cannot fill in the pitting with some sort of bondo and powder coat over it.must be bare metal . You can smooth out some of the pitting so it isn't as noticeable when powder coated . Did that with some over head grab rails in black and it looks and feels 100% better. You will see any and all imperfections that are bigger than a pinhead . Sort of like the 8' ft paint job on a car ,looks great from 8 ,start looking at it close up and ....