Restoring fiberglass Monark that regressed to a caterpillar

MidMichigan

Cadet
Hey great forum. As a newbie boat owner I?ve already found some great advice but have a few questions for those with more experience. I told a few friends I was interested in getting a small boat to fish in freshwater lakes nearby and soon after received a call from a friend about an aluminum 14 footer with trailer and small motor for sale by his neighbor at a steal at $250. Excited, I think I forgot to hang up the phone on my way out the door. However the boat turned out to be a 15? tri-hull fiberglass Monark, without the motor. I reflected on how many times the bass seemed to jump just outside the range of my offshore cast and bought it anyway when the seller knocked another $50 off the price. I now have a butt ugly faded green dated Monark sitting in the driveway that instead of seeing the possibilities after restoration, elicited the comments ?I hope it floats? by my girlfriend and her lack-of-vision idiot friends as I pulled in, but could use some help in getting it on the water.

This brings me to the first question. Where would I find information about a specific Monark model boat? I don?t even know what year it was made ? as the paperwork that he gave me says ?unknown?? The HIN is 64320 if that helps.

I?ve begun removing the hardware and old outdoor carpet to begin prepwork to repaint, not that the fish will care, but hopefully after significant elbow grease and sweat investment will be a boat that others will want to accompany me fishing without their disguises.

The boat seems solid to a novice ? but what should I be looking for at closer inspection?

Another, what may seem odd question is ? there are three plugs in the back and what looks like two live wells, one on either side? but not sure since the outside is molded fiberglass and the inside looks more like treated plywood??..are they live wells that are made to hold water for bait or catches while I?m fishing or just for storage as one had a bunch of junk including what used to be an old oar left it?

I would sincerely appreciate any helpful advice and apologize for the length of this post. I will be taking pics and may post them later as the progress is made, but not today or I?d probably be banned for boating obscenity if I posted a ?before? pic right now. ?Thanks guys - TJ
:confused:

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Restoring fiberglass Monark that regressed to a caterpillar

One big thing is that wood rots, treated or not.

Transom, floor, stringers (braces of some kind under the floors), and all the deck and storage stuff.

Might be best to make a flower planter out of it and go look for a boat that's had a little more care in it's life, or maybe is made with less wood in it.

hope it helps
John

Bige1511

Cadet
Re: Restoring fiberglass Monark that regressed to a caterpillar

Sounds like you got a 76 monark 16' tri hull most of the places under seat is for storage but in the 76 it has 2live wells for fish and live bait you will notice these by the holes on the side of the boat for fresh water flow.if you dont have any visable hull damage or any any holes that shouldnt be there the worst is over you are the proud owner of a boat treat her good and she will be good back to you thats my motto ill post a photo of mine so you can see if its a 76 best of luck to you keep us posted how its coming and dont let the haters keep you outta the water:cool: