Restoring faded color - Gel Coat Labs Products?

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice
I'm sure this is a common, much debated subject and I've read some of the posts but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the products from Gel Coat Labs. Their website seems pretty helpful in content on technique and they offer a package complete with pads, etc. that appears to be a "one stop shop". I've never done this before and the oxidation on my boat (1993 24' Baja Outlaw) is what I would consider "moderate".<br /><br />But, I'm always a little leery of taking advice on a product from the same person selling it (objectivity or lack thereof). Can anyone verify through personal experience if their stuff is any good and if the techniques explained in their application guide are indeed correct?<br /><br /> http://www.properboatcare.com/gelcolaapgu.html

salty87

Commander
Re: Restoring faded color - Gel Coat Labs Products?

the process looks good. the prices seem high but sometimes it can be difficult to find good bonnets and pads. the velcro-backed ones are much easier to work with.<br /><br />i have no experience with their products. i find the process is more important than the products, if you stick with 3m, mcguiar's, the big names.<br /><br />i recommend this buffer/polisher for the price if you need one....http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46507<br /><br />i bought one and it worked just fine. comes with velcro attachment for velcro-backed pads.

Hi here in canada i was wondering what to buy to clean and brighton up a gel coat, tried all the stuff availeble to no avail.....was walking around a marine here bay marine and was looking at all the products they sell and a salesman came up to me and asked if he could help and recommended this stuff as they use it on all there used boats for sale and he said red was the worst it is called Rexco cleaning and glazing polish wow works like magic and a little goes a long way you have to wax after but the difference is like night and day the product is made in georgia perhaps try looking for there web site......

rufnek100

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the tip on the buffer, salty87. It looks pretty inexpensive. Does it have ajustable rpm control?<br /><br />Also wondering on overall quality of the unit you've got. The DeWalt, Porter Cable, etc. lines are a sizable investment I don't want to get into for a once/twice a year use, but then again I don't want to end up with something that won't hold up. You've had pretty good luck with it?