restoration and prices...

dodl

Seaman Apprentice
Hello,<br /><br />I have an old Merc 500 '72 4 Cyl. Thunderbolt Type II Ignition.<br />Now i get another one with Type IV Ignition, which i want to put on my motor. (same Powerhead etc...).<br /><br />I would also like to have a look at the Powerhead and do a big overhaul. BUT, when i look at the prices for all the gaskets and bearings i would have to change according to the Seloc Manual, i could get a complete used engine. Also, the Seloc manual says i have to disassemble the whole thing including pistons and rods, but on the other side, they write NEVER use a 3 ring piston after removing from the rod. Another 500$ if i really need to buy new pistons and rings. Now i wonder if i just should repair/upgrade the electric part and let the rest as is...<br />Anything i should look at before the first start? The motor was "dry" for some time. <br /><br />many thanks<br />martin

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Re: restoration and prices...

Is there anything wrong with the motor as it is now, outside of electricals? How is compression? Does it make excessive bearing noise when you spin it over? I'm a firm believer in the old axiom that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. If compression is good and you don't hear any funny noises coming from inside the motor, then leave it be. Perhaps you'll want to run some decaboning agent through it to clean up the innards, etc.<br /><br />If it does turn out to have low compression, determine what caused it. Might just be stuck rings or a light scuffing. It may only need new rings and maybe a good used piston. They're a common motor and lots of parts out there, common to many years.<br /> <br />Get a better handle on what the motor is going to need and go from there...<br /><br />- Scott

dodl

Seaman Apprentice

Hello,<br /><br />Sorry for the late reply, christmas holidays you know... ;) <br /><br />Well, i am not really sure if my motor needs to be disassembled completely. When i turn it on the flywheel very slowly (sparkplugs removed) i do not hear anything. BUT when i move it a bit faster, there is some kind of squeezing noise. Sounds strange. I don't know if it is a bearing or just some air going through somewhere. If it is a rod or crankcase bearing i think restoration gets really expensive...<br />The motor stood around for qutie a while, i just sprayed oil into the holes of the sparkplugs and tried to spray it through the carburetor assembly to get it to the crankcase. Don't know how to explain it better, hope you understand what i mean. :) My english is pretty basic.<br /><br />thanks<br />martin

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

A "squeezing noise" sounds to me like compression. I think you should get it running, and do a compression check. If it has good compression and doesn't make any nasty noises (they do make some noise when they run), then you are okay. Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Also, you may want to run your fuel/oil mix a bit rich (more oil) when you get it running, just to get things good and lubed. Good luck...