Resistance question

Haywood123

Seaman
Currently I am running a 36 volt trolling motor in my boat, with all 3 batteries in the back, plus the starting battery. Anyway, I am thinking of moving one of the batteries up more towards the front. I will actually be using about 10" less wire through the whole system than I am now, but I am wondeing if there will be an issue with resistance since rather than 10" of wire between battery 1 and 2, there will be 8' of wire between them and 10" between 2 and 3. I am running 4 gauge wire through the whole system, so I can't reduce resistance much more than I am. The reason I want to move it, is because with 4 batteries, a motor, and full gas tank, the back of the boat rides lower than I want it to, and when I use the back livewell I worry about waves splashing into my gas tank vent.

rndn

Commander
Re: Resistance question

Have you though about moving your starting battery instead?

Haywood123

Seaman

Not really. that would involve rewiring my starter, my altornator, my fuse panel and my auto bilge, where as moving one of the 3 trolling batteries would just involve me cutting and splicing a wire.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

With 4ga. wire I don't think it would cause any problems, Haywood. Remember that a 36v motor only draws 1/3 as much current to make the same thrust as a 12v.

Haywood123

Seaman

I know, I love it. I ran it for 5 hours at 35% and still had 85% of the batteries left. I spoke to an engineer at work and he said, unless my motor is drawing 500 amps, I wouldn't notice. I think I am safe

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

"resistance is futile"
240x320.jpg