reseach alternative trim tilt lines

windowman

Cadet
Anyone ever try to use standard steel auto break line for the trim tilt hydraulic lines on mercury when the pump is mounted inside the boat and lines run to 2 cylinders. the oem replacement lines are outrages price . Or does anyone have any other ideas . I need all 4 lines and hate to have $200-$300 in this repaire on my 1981 mercury 80hp outboard,

Laddies

Banned
Re: reseach alternative trim tilt lines

We have a hydraulic shop that can take the speical ends out of the orginal lines and make up new lines.

windowman

Cadet

Thank you however the previous owner removed the lines so i do not have the old ones. do you have the end available to make new lines

Laddies

Banned

No, if a customer wants to have the lines made up, he has to have it done. I don't need the running around(time and gas add up quickly) you might find some a local marina or thru a marine salvage yard.

wired247

Lieutenant Commander

Most NAPA's will make whatever you want for hydraulic lines. Just them what ends you want and how long. Bend them to fit once made up. They dont have to look exactly like the original

Laddies

Banned

AS you can see it in a parts books the cyl. end of the lines have a kink in them to get around a mount bolt and are made of s/steel, if you get a discount at a auto parts store they can order new from Prime Line or the NAPA marine catalog most come overnight.

kazek

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Brake lines are fine as long as they are braided stainless steel at in worst case steel braid.they can withstand 2400 psi with bearly any stretch/expansion.regular rubber lines stretch and will burst under high psi.rubber reinforced have 20% expansion.unless you know anyone in hydraulic industry,proper lines will be costly.mine are welded old fittings to new lines/fittings(available to me for a coffie to the guy in maintenance dept.