Reputable engine source?

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
So where do y'all recommend to purchase a remanufactured engine? I need a new engine (4.3 Mercruiser). I've heard of Promar and Jasper...any others with good reputations? Thanks!

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Would also recommend Michigan Motorz. I had a very good experience with and partial engine package (New base engine , intake carb, ignition). On its seventh season no issues .

Link to their vortec 4.3 base engine but they have remans to turnkey bobtails.

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Another vote for Michigan Motorz. Used to live near them and picked up most of my boat needs from them. Great folks to work with.

DRCrowe

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Michigan Motorz are great. You can actually call them and talk to a person! I'm on Year 2 with my vortec 350 and a very happy customer. I'd use them again if I needed to.

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well crap...not having the best time with MM so far. After ordering and sending back an engine from Promar (sent me an engine with flat tappets instead of roller tappets), I ordered one from MM. Well guess what? They've done the same thing! I ordered the 4300-RR engine from them, and they send me one with flat tappets...I have an email in to them now (just got the engine today), so we'll see what they do about this.
Question: why would they do this? Are they saving a bunch of money, or what? I just don't understand why folks don't just sell you what they advertised and you bought...

tpenfield

Staff member
4300-RRR - That part# has roller cam & lifters specified

Is that a typo in your post? (of course I don't see an item 4300-RR on the MM website)

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry, it is 4300-RRR. And that's what I mean - the engine I ordered and paid for specified roller cams and roller lifters, so why would they send me one with flat tappets?? Do these manufacturers think we won't notice? Ugh!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
MM is the distributor (middle man). They order one with rollers and company A sends it in marked as RRR. You order they send it out. Their not going to open to verify

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
MM is the distributor (middle man). They order one with rollers and company A sends it in marked as RRR. You order they send it out. Their not going to open to verify
Seriously?? They don't actually rebuild the engines themselves? Holy crap, so we may have received the exact same engine we sent back to Promar?!? Wow...

alldodge

Staff member
The good thing as they will make it right and find out why it happened

tpenfield

Staff member
Seriously?? They don't actually rebuild the engines themselves? Holy crap, so we may have received the exact same engine we sent back to Promar?!? Wow...
Yes, probably . . . Michican Motorz is sales and distribution, as are many places that sell a variety of products. Jegs, Summit Racing, etc. . . MM may have a standing relationship with an engine builder. Their marketing info implies that they build them, but not explicitly.

Any markings on the engine or shipping labels that would indicate a separate re-builder?

tonyjh63

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update: I emailed MM and gave them my mechanic's name/number to discuss the issue, as I was going to be asleep (I work night shift). Glad I did, 'cause as it turns out, the engine apparently has these stamped roller rockers that don't look like the "normal" type rollers (some of y'all may know what I'm talking about, 'cause I sure don't! LOL!). Anyway, we just need to get some new (standard) bolts, and should be ok.
My mechanic/installer said that MM's customer service is fantastic!
Tony

Scott06

Vice Admiral
Update: I emailed MM and gave them my mechanic's name/number to discuss the issue, as I was going to be asleep (I work night shift). Glad I did, 'cause as it turns out, the engine apparently has these stamped roller rockers that don't look like the "normal" type rollers (some of y'all may know what I'm talking about, 'cause I sure don't! LOL!). Anyway, we just need to get some new (standard) bolts, and should be ok.
My mechanic/installer said that MM's customer service is fantastic!
Tony
Glad to hear it, that was my experience when i got my repower engine from them..a couple of missing and wrong items on my partial, were sent out the next day.
i think the later vortec 4.3 cam with roller tip rockers so i think what you mention is correct