Repowering w/1996 90hp V4 Johnson

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi All, Newbie to the Johnson forum, have been on the Force forum for a couple of years. Time to retire the old gal. Bought a 96 90hp johnson for my 16 footer. Ran it just at idle on the old boat it was on, it started right up and hi idled and regular idled really nice. I took it off that boat and am putting it on my boat. It appears to have had very little use, it's really clean. It came out of Moosehead Lake Maine, they have a really short season. My question is should I install it and just run it or are there any suggestions anyone has. I do plan on using the remote oil tank it has and I have ordered a Johnson manual. Oh, one other question. When running it at idle, should water be coming out the 2 little black holes just below the intermediate cover on the back of the motor. I was running it on muffs. Any replies and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks All, O.T.

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Repowering w/1996 90hp V4 Johnson

My suggestion is to; check the oil level in lower unit, change spark plugs, use fresh fuel and "quality" TWC 2 stoke oil. There should be at least one "pee strem" coming out the rear portion of the motor (even when running on muffs). Your motor, being a V4, probably does have two holes (one for each bank) and they should both be squirting water.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Theres only one tell tail hole, and yes there should be some water coming out of the two exhaust relief holes.

O.T.Water

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for the answer, I didn't run it very long. Should water come out all the time or does the thermostat have to open first?

oldcatamount

Lieutenant Commander

Water should come out within a few seconds of starting the motor regardless of the t-stat.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Make sure to run the motor on premix (50:1 gas to TWC3 oil) until you verify the oil system is working correctly.