Repowering Searay

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 1985 Searay 270 Sundancer. It now has twin 470's that I have nothing but problems with. I am looking into repowering with twin small block chevy motors. I have alpha 1 outdrives that I was told would accept the new 8's Is the repower possible with my boat?

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Repowering Searay

Anything is possible with enough money and time.. If going to v8's your going to either get new upper drives or have your current ones regeared. Your also going to have to build new stringers to mount the v8 engines. But don't be surprised to find that transom is rotted out.

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks. Before we bought boat we had it all checked out and they said it was solid..So that wont be problem. But now restringing could be alot. When you look down into the Motor Compartment it looks as if there are three runs ,one in middle and one on each side. Its almost like it was set up for either 4's or 8's. I will check it out though...

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Buildin' new motor beds will be a Piece of Cake,...
After you fill in the transom,+ recut the holes, Wider......

V8s won't fit side by side in the lay-out you have now...

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, I went down to marina to take some measuremnets and even with a 10' beam its to much to relocate everything. So I think as soon as I can find me a decend 470 I will just go from there. It sucks that I can build 2 V8s cheaper than my dam 470's. I will ust have to suck it up and do it..

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Have u thought about converting to 2 3.0 liter engines?

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

V6's How would that be any different than V8's for size? I said that to someone today and they said they don't have enough torque to get bout up and out of water, I don't know. I do know dry weight of my boat is 6700lbs.
give me more info if possible.

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

3.0 liters are 4 cylinder engines. 3.0 liters are pretty common so parts aren;t an issue

Bondo

Staff member

V6's How would that be any different than V8's for size?

Ayuh,... They're based on the Same block, so Same Width... Just shorter..

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Lime4x4 thanks. I did a little research on the 3.0 and I sure have more availibility going that route. I do not know alot about boats so I will have to ask this. My boat is 6700lbs dry. The 470's put out lots of torque for a 4 cyl. Do you know if the 3.0 will have enough power to get my boat up on plain without strain? my 470 is the 224hp with the rochester 4brl carbs...

lime4x4

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think the 3.0 are rated at 130 to 145 hp. You might be able to build them up to get more power out of them. On another note you could fit 2 small blocks in there. They offered some boats with a 8.5 beam with twin small blocks. Plus alot of the 270's had twin small blocks and v6's in them

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

This one is a long shot, but if you have the length you could try two Chevy 250s, the old merc 165. TONS of torque, blocks are easy to find and can order completely rebuilt marine grade for $1400... Also since it is an inline engine exhaust and stringer fitment wouldn't be that bad. Don't get your hopes, up though, this is a LONG engine...

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks for all the great info guys. I have thought out all options and to go to v8s and rebuild trason or stay with 470s will be about same price. I will just have to get over the availibility issues with 470

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

has twin 470's that I have nothing but problems with[/QUOTE said:
Before you spend a lot of money, you need to find out EXACTLY why your engines are giving you "problems". 470's were designed as marine engines, and are pretty sturdy little units. You will find very few complaints of problems with the "short block" (crank, rods pistons etc). The vast majority of problems are head related, due to the mismatch of an iron head on a aluminum block. You MAY not have to do a complete rebuild. Head gasket sealing problems and coolant leakage into the back cylinders are common problems (even if never overheated). A compression test will tell you a lot about the health of your engine (bad head gasket, valves, rings etc). As an example mine was running lousy last spring, found low compression in #4, new head gasket and valve job $500, and she runs like a champ again. Good luck, Oh and welcome to the "470 Club":eek:

TheSeasLife

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thank you stonyloam. As soon as I can get her to turn over I will do compression tests.