repower to diesel

night8hawk

Cadet
I'm looking at a 28' Bertram it's gas powered.<br />The boat in great shape, both inside and out, but<br />i would like to repower with twin diesels engines.<br />would there be major problems with gas tank,transmission drive ect. about what would be the cost 50k or more? I also looked at some diesel power bertrams over 100k,the gas was 35k..with the repower I will have new engines for maybe less money or am i all wet ? Thanks Dave

delta breeze

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: repower to diesel

Hey Dave,<br /> The 28' Bertram is a great boat to repower with diesels.You can purchase engine packages with the trans or w/o.I can't remember if the boat is set up with v-drives or straight??Either way it would be very possible and safer.As far as the tanks just clean them or it would be a good time to replace if they are steel. You can also find were someone else has repowered and the marina took there engines and overhauled them to save a little.If you have the finances go with new.What type of power are you looking at?Have you checked out the John Deere,I do not have personal experiance with them in the marine industry but have heard nothing but good.Iwould like to know how you decide??Good Luck. <br /><br /> Delta Breeze.

aggie97

Cadet

I would think that twin diesels would be great. As for fuel systems being compatable, as long as there are no galvanized parts in the fuel system you should be good to go. Diesels will run on just about any fuel with a thick consistancy. Diesels will run on karosene (sp), diesel fuel, cooking oil, trans fluid, hydraulic fluid, motor oil, and even if some gas is mixed in they will still run. The big killer would be alge in the tanks, but that can be killed by adding some biocide that is regularly available at auto stores and other chain stores. There may be some rewiring that needs to be done as diesel engines usually require much less wiring, and some can be run while completly submirged in water (as long as the intake and exhaust are clear to free surface).<br /><br />have fun on the repower, just keep in mind a converted gas bot will not ever have the value of a factory diesel boat, even if the two are exact twins in all other regards.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yep.. At least $50k for new engines, transmissions, exhaust, shafts, props, and all the associated paraphernalia, plus everything else that i'm leaving out, and thats including doing a bunch of the work yourself... It's a bunch of work...<br /><br />That's a tight engine compartment with a pair of gas 350's and B/W reduction gears, so it's going to be really tight in there with a pair of diesels..<br /><br />The transmissions from the gas motors won't handle the torque of the diesels... <br /><br />Although I do like Cummins, John Deere, ect., I'd say Yanmars would be the best bet for cost, overall weight, fuel effency, and power...<br /><br />Personally, if it's diesel you want, I'd look for a 28' thats already diesel powered.. Think you could find a decent one for less than $100k.. Patience my friend.. :)

Mercury140-I6

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have no knowledge of anyone doing this or if the engine is good for marine use, but what about the Ford Powerstroke 7.3L V-8? It has lots of power and tourque. With the computer control modual and the chip programer, the power can be up'd a lot with little mods to the motor. Only takes a 4" exhaust in the truck and a pyrometer so that the motor doesn't melt down. Just a thought.<br /><br /> http://www.myfishingpictures.com/showphoto.php?photo=13003&sort=7&thecat=500&password= <br /><br />Craig

Bondo

Staff member

if the engine is good for marine use, but what about the Ford Powerstroke 7.3L V-8? It has lots of power and tourque.
Mercruiser used them for quite a few years...........<br />They might Still be using them....