Repower 5.0 Mercruiser question

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok will try to make this short and sweet
I have a 96 Chaparral 1930 5.0 Mercruiser Alpha one gen 2 , The boat ran on this spring and sucked water. Hydrolocked and blew teeth off the flywheel.

I ran into a deal on a 2007 boat that was burned BAD!! Boat had 60 Hours (according to service week before fire)Fire started in the garage which it was parked next to, front of boat was destroyed. Engine and drive were intact, only casualty was the drive oil overflow. and a few wires. The owner cut the transom and sold me the engine 5.0 vortech, drive alpha one gen 2 (with all the stickers and PERFECT, what was left of the wiring harness, $800.00, even got the title to the "boat"

To start, ran compression test, 150- 155 across the board, changed oil,new wiring harness, cleaned and scrubbed. Changed bellows, Gimbal Bearing, Gimble seal, Hoses, spark plug wires, should be ready to fire.

Now the question, Chaparral had a 10 wire plug with a Mechanical fuel pump. The new engine also has 10 wire plug, Do I have to add anything for the fuel pump or does the boat just power the brain box? It does have a oil pressure switch and a sensor on it.

NHGuy

Captain
Re: Repower 5.0 Mercruiser question

I don't know your answer but I just want to say congratulations, you just got the steal of the century!
I bet it's a real easy upgrade. I'd just try to get the manual for both versions and compare the wiring diagrams. They are probably similar and could easily be the same.

Bondo

Staff member

Ok will try to make this short and sweet
I have a 96 Chaparral 1930 5.0 Mercruiser Alpha one gen 2 , The boat ran on this spring and sucked water. Hydrolocked and blew teeth off the flywheel.

I ran into a deal on a 2007 boat that was burned BAD!! Boat had 60 Hours (according to service week before fire)Fire started in the garage which it was parked next to, front of boat was destroyed. Engine and drive were intact, only casualty was the drive oil overflow. and a few wires. The owner cut the transom and sold me the engine 5.0 vortech, drive alpha one gen 2 (with all the stickers and PERFECT, what was left of the wiring harness, $800.00, even got the title to the "boat"

To start, ran compression test, 150- 155 across the board, changed oil,new wiring harness, cleaned and scrubbed. Changed bellows, Gimbal Bearing, Gimble seal, Hoses, spark plug wires, should be ready to fire.

Now the question, Chaparral had a 10 wire plug with a Mechanical fuel pump. The new engine also has 10 wire plug, Do I have to add anything for the fuel pump or does the boat just power the brain box? It does have a oil pressure switch and a sensor on it.

Ayuh,... It should be plug, 'n play,... The motor harness should take care of powerin' what needs power....

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't know your answer but I just want to say congratulations, you just got the steal of the century!
I bet it's a real easy upgrade. I'd just try to get the manual for both versions and compare the wiring diagrams. They are probably similar and could easily be the same.

Thanks a lot I thought it was a steal too.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... It should be plug, 'n play,... The motor harness should take care of powerin' what needs power....
Thanks Bond-o Going to give her a whirl today. Just didnt want to fry anything

scoflaw

Ensign

Hate to be a buzz kill here but those CR#'s should be in the 185-190 range
I had a pair of cracked heads( crack between the 2 center exhaust valves) and the 2 center cylinders tested at 155 , with the 2 outer cylinders at 190.
150 would be good pre vortec

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hate to be a buzz kill here but those CR#'s should be in the 185-190 range
I had a pair of cracked heads( crack between the 2 center exhaust valves) and the 2 center cylinders tested at 155 , with the 2 outer cylinders at 190.
150 would be good pre vortec
185-190 cold,dry?
I pulled compression on bocks on the ground, will retest today

Bondo

Staff member

185-190 cold,dry?
I pulled compression on bocks on the ground, will retest today

Ayuh,... I wouldn't worry 'bout yer numbers,...

"To start, ran compression test, 150- 155 across the board,"

Gauges vary,... Like numbers is more important, than the actual numbers...

scoflaw

Ensign

Yes it was on an engine stand. I pulled it to replace the oil pan.
It was running decent in the boat before I pulled it.

After the compression check, and noting the differance, I chucked up some air into the plug hole, squirted some WD40 on the visible exhaust valves and the were leaking like big time.

Decided to do a valve job at that point and that's when the 2 cracked heads showed up. It was running decent even with the cracked heads and those CR #,s

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

OVERWHELMING SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Boat runs great and quiet, not sure I like the new "choke" system.

Any ideas where to list all my xtra parts, complete engine, 2 sets manifolds risors, serp belt system, y pipe, transom assembly? Hate Ebay is there a good boaters parts forum?

NHGuy

Captain

Craigslist? If you don't mind having strangers come to your place.

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I am kind of a private guy, with a lot of toys, would prefer not to have strangers at my house or garage

NHGuy

Captain

Speedwake has a classified section. Offshore only has too, but they don't even normally deal in stuff like we run.
Maybe you are stuck with e-bay. Don't just keep those parts, they have value.