Replacing wheel bearings

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer
I already know the correct answer I just need a confirmation. :)

If you pulled the hubs on a new to you trailer and cleaned the baby poop out of the hubs and noted some minor pitting on the bearings would you replace them?

The spindles and hubs look really good.

izoomie

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing wheel bearings

You have to do the seals if the grease is like baby poop. If the bearings are pitted, they need to be replaced too.

colbyt

You have to do the seals if the grease is like baby poop. If the bearings are pitted, they need to be replaced too.

And mostly for the benefit of future readers, you buy new seals cause they aren't reusable after you pry them out of there.

It's been 40 years since I did a repack so I was a bit rusty. :)

colbyt

Me. Old, tired and rusty and crusty.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Me. Old, tired and rusty and crusty.

Yep - When you get old, tired and rusty and crusty the seals start to leak. :lol: And while you're at it change out the pitted bearings with new.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

As cheap as bearings and seals are these days, why not change to new? I mean you're tailering your boat costing thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars and worried about a few bucks for bearings and seals...? :facepalm:

airshot

Rear Admiral

As cheap as bearings and seals are these days, why not change to new? I mean you're tailering your boat costing thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars and worried about a few bucks for bearings and seals...? :facepalm:

+ 1 on that !!

Airshot

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with gm on this one. Generally if I go through the trouble of pulling everything out the bearings, seals and all associated parts are getting changed. I know it is wasting some money but I am always concerned with some kind of contaminate being left in the grease or in a roller that causes the breakdown of the grease. I have race presses so it really is not a big deal to change it all. I don't my bearings every year though.

robert graham

Admiral

Take your hubs/pitted bearings/etc. to Northern Tool or similar and they may be able to sell you an entire hub/bearing/seal unit for $30 or so...just pop it on and ready to roll....assuming your spindles are still O.K.....

colbyt

Take your hubs/pitted bearings/etc. to Northern Tool or similar and they may be able to sell you an entire hub/bearing/seal unit for $30 or so...just pop it on and ready to roll....assuming your spindles are still O.K.....

I chose to repack these for very short term use. I can buy new hubs and bearings online for less than the local cost of bearings and races only.

Thanks to all but there was never really any doubt in my mind about the correct course of action. Using pitted bearings for anything but short term local use would be a serious mistake.

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No mention of aces here. Maybe that's implied?

stylesabu

if you have a bench grinder, i grind outer edge of old race to use as a driver. its free and i have been saving them for years so i have almost everysize. even for some of the old large hubs on cars and trucks

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

When you replace the races, throw them in the freezer before you install them. Also use one of these...makes life easier:
10 Piece Bearing Race and Seal Driver Set

X1,000,000

I have two of those and they make it sooooo much easier to get races in. It's probably why I don't mind changing bearings anymore. First time I ever did it I did it with brass punches and it was painful. Not any more.

JARED T

Seaman

the old race is perfect to drive in the new ones just flip them over and it sits just right on the new ones.

RobWise64

Cadet

.. and then use your hitch ball to bang it in, setting it on top of the old race and smacking it to drive in the new race. That was my first bearing driver set, a hitch ball and an old race! I also leave the hub attached to the tire/wheel to give myself some leverage and stability.

Rob

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

There's a Nuera Trailer Parts store near me. They sell Dexter 3500 lb axle bearing and seal kits for 12 bucks a wheel. The kit comes with new bearings, races, a double lipped seal, a split pin, and that other nut locking device Dexter uses. Hard to beat. My local Tractor Supply Company gets 11 bucks for just the seal...

MRS

Commander

if you have a bench grinder, i grind outer edge of old race to use as a driver. its free and i have been saving them for years so i have almost everysize. even for some of the old large hubs on cars and trucks

That is a great idea Thanks.