Replacing water pump on my '79 seahorse and other thoughts.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just received my replacement water pump kit here from Iboats.com. This is my first time ever replacing a water pump. I have a few concerns. I've included a diagram of the engine and I'm wondering about part number 14 in the diagram. It came as part of my sierra kit, but I really don't see how it fits properly in the water pump housing. If I place it in the housing before inserting the housing cup then it doesn't appear to fit right. The housing cup will not sit flush with the housing. Am I looking at this picture wrong? Does the seal actually go inside the housing? <br /><br />Also, I'd like to make sure the intake tube is clear after I take the pump off. What is the best way to do this? Should I blow air into the intake tube? How will this get past the thermostat? And speaking of thermostat, if I test the new impellor in a tub of water how long should it take before the tell-tale starts pissing water?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing water pump on my '79 seahorse and other thoughts.

There should be a cavity that the seal fits into. The seal is pressed in to the seal cavity with the face of the seal pointing toward the impeller. Have you compared the old pump housing with the new? Take a look and you'll see how it goes in.<br /><br />Easy way to make sure the water tube is clear, push a garden hose up over the water tube and turn it on. The t-stat is held in place with a spring. It'll give some to let the water past the t-stat....which, by the way, might be something to look at if you don't know when it was replaced last.<br /><br />Your included picture don't work either.... :)

D

DJ

BWS,<br /><br />We really have NO idea what part 14 is.<br /><br />Can you clarify?

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

It's just a little seal that presses into the pump housing DJ....this one is just kinda' wierd cause it goes on the inside of the pump housing. This was used till around 84 or 85 when OMC went to an oring under the impeller cup.

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

Also some of those kits fit a number of different pumps and may have some parts not needed for yours.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The above picture shows up for me. Not sure what the deal is. I'll try it again.<br /><br />It doesn't look like there is a place for the seal to go. In fact, the seal looks just like a common o-ring. I have not taken the old pump off yet to see it. I plan on doing that thursday. Just wanted to address this a few dsays ahead of time to try and get it figured out. I'll try to take some pictures of the actual pump kit.<br /><br />
ce2f.jpg

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

Dave...did you get a new pump housing with the kit?<br /><br />Generic kits....gotta love'm!.... :)

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK, here are pictures of the actual kit. The kit is Sierra number 18-3383 and it replaces OMC-395270. <br /><br />This is a pic of the contents of the kit. Notice they didn't include washers for the screws. And what exactly is the small little white piece of plastic that is laying to the right of the paper?<br />
fd11.jpg
<br /><br /><br />Next is a pic of the inside of the housing. It has these weird looking teeth but no depression for the o-ring. Notice the two holes on the top right side of the housing. Those are keyed so that the stainless steel liner fits perfectly.<br />
8589.jpg
<br /><br />Lastly, here is a pic of the stainless steel liner. Notice the teeth and how they fit into the housing.<br />
76f4.jpg
<br /><br />If the individual pictures don't work you can view them together at http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/coocoofreak/album?.dir=/bca2 <br /><br />I'm just a little confused as to how this goes together. Guess I really need to look at what comes off the current engine. My luck I'll be missing a part of some type.

OBJ

Supreme Mariner

The pic of the parts breakdown is of the old style pump with the press in seal. The pump kit you have is the new style. The oring, in the new pump, is supposed to go under the cup. The cup will not be flush with the housing but will stick out a little to make up for the thickness of the gasket which goes under the housing. Anywho.....that's the way the OEM kits work. How far out does the cup stick out with the oring in place under the cup?<br /><br />EDIT: Dave...click the link below and it'll take you to Bombardiers site. In the lower left hand corner, click on engine diagrams. Then just follow the instructions. Instead of looking at a 79', take a look at an 86' 25hp. Click on the gearcase diagram and you can see the parts breakdown of the new style pump.<br /><br />EDIT...again: Forgot the link.<br /><br /> http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

With the o-ring in place the cup sticks out the exact width of the o-ring. Maybe 1/16th of an inch. Without the o-ring the cup is flush.<br /><br />This is kinda frustrating. I looked at the installation digram for the '86 and can see how they put the o-ring in. It just looks cheap to me. The '86 also shows an o-ring on top of the housing. They didn't give me one of those either. I bought the kit here at iboats but next time I'm gonna look for the OEM part. I don't think iboats sell it.

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So do you think I'm good to go in this situation? What about the outer top part of the housing where the drive shaft enters the water pump? Do I not need a seal in that location?<br /><br />Considering there is no grove for the oring to sit in the inside of the housing how do I keep the oring from drifting?

blackwaterstout

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I ended up replacing the impeller today. Things didn't go perfectly smooth, but in the end it worked out. I had to use the original housing with the new sierra housing insert and impeller. The sierra pump housing just does not make any sense. I ought to send it back to them and ask them to explain to me how it actually works. Anyway, with the lower unit off I took the opportunity to clean out and test the intake hose. I found it to be clean, but the actual ****-hole exit hole was plugged. I had to take a small nail to clean it out. In the end we took it to the river and it was pissing a good stream of water. So this ordeal seems over for now. Now if I can only figure out my throttle problem which I am about to post in a seperate thread..............