Replacing upper crankshaft bearing

nzahradka

Cadet
1986 75 hp Mercury 4 cyl S/N 0A198913

There is play in the upper crankshaft bearing which is significant enough for the flywheel to rub the stator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b4rMIEvse4

Based on replies to an earlier post as well as other posts on this subject, I plan to replace the upper crankshaft bearing. I don't see any mechanically safe way to do this without removing the block and separating it from the crankcase cover. The Clymer manual for this motor describes the procedure to access the crank pretty well. I've never opened up an outboard before, but I'm not intimidated if I feel I've got good instructions. Unfortunately, Mercury does not have a factory manual available for this motor. So...some questions:

1) I'm assuming the old bearing comes off with a standard bearing puller?
2) I picture a pretty unweildy scenario trying to place a crankshaft with pistons and reed blocks attached in a press to get the bearing on. Is a specialized setup required?
3) How do I ensure the new bearing is seated at the proper location on the crank? Is there a flange to stop it or do I simply mark the original bearing location before I pull it?
4) Should I replace the lower bearing while the crank is out or base that on the condition of the bearing?

Any other key steps I need to be aware of? And thanks all for the good knowledge here...

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replacing upper crankshaft bearing

1) I'm assuming the old bearing comes off with a standard bearing puller?
2) I picture a pretty unweildy scenario trying to place a crankshaft with pistons and reed blocks attached in a press to get the bearing on. Is a specialized setup required?
3) How do I ensure the new bearing is seated at the proper location on the crank? Is there a flange to stop it or do I simply mark the original bearing location before I pull it?
4) Should I replace the lower bearing while the crank is out or base that on the condition of the bearing?

1) Use a bearing splitter...
2) That motor has cracked rod caps so mark/label them and leave pistons in block. This just leaves you the crank and use a set-up like in enclosed pic.
3) Bearing presses flush to journal....
4) Always... and check crankshaft shimming after crank is reinstalled. Inspect upper/lower end caps for wear and replace seals in both..

Attachments

• Bearing%20Service%20028.jpg
    Bearing%20Service%20028.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 3

nzahradka

Cadet

Thank you, Fazt, your answers are very helpful. If I disconnect the connecting rods, the Clymer manual recommends to always use new rod bolts. Why is this?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

When you torque them they stretch/twist a little.....