Replacing U-Joints

Flames

Seaman
Hello everyone, I am replacing the u-joints on my 1986 Searay Seville,4 cyl, Cobra Outdrive. Someone on here told me to just take 4 bolts off and drop the whole outdrive. I can get to 3 of the bolts with no problem, but, the last one looks like it is impossible to get off. Part of the exhaust is covering the last bolt and looks as if the exhaust bolts are a pain to get off as well. <br /><br />Is the an easy way to get to the last bolt?<br /><br /><br />Thanks Rudy

DHPMARINE

Captain
Re: Replacing U-Joints

Flames,Hope I can help,but you lost me here.Cobra drive are bolted on with 6 nuts on 6 studs.Also remove tilt cylinder thru bolt.What do you mean by 4 bolts,and 1 hard to reach?<br />DHP

Flames

Seaman

Ok, someone on here told me to replace them that I would need to take 4 bolts loose from the inside of the stern. Somehow that just dont seem right.<br /><br /><br /> *Instead*<br /><br />I have taken all 6 nuts from the outdrive and the tilt cyl. thru bolt loose, but there is still something holding the unit on. I cant see any retainer rings or anything like that holding it. <br /><br />What else is holding it togather?<br /><br />Thanks, Rudy

CTD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Gasket sealer and friction

Wart T

Petty Officer 2nd Class

O MAN I hope you didnt loosen those transom bolts.

DHPMARINE

Captain

Yes,Flames.The double ujoints hang up in the bellows.Just wait till you try to put the drive back on.1986 is the hardest,but we'll help when you're ready.<br />DHP<br />Just pull it off

Flames

Seaman

Thanks DHPMARINE, I will let you know how it goes.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

If the U joint assembly is tight getting thru the bellows, then they are swollen and the bellows should be replaced, a fairly easy job. The new improved bellows have a larger I.D. and the U joints and shaft just fall right thru it.

Flames

Seaman

Thanks Seahorse, I will check on them.<br /><br /><br />Well, I got it tore down and it is NOT the u-joints. It is the carrier bearing that the drive shaft goes through. I think it will bw an easy fix, Im going to see if I can find the bearing on Friday so I can get back on the lake this weekend.LOL!<br /><br /><br />Thanks for all the help guys and for your great help DHPMARINE.<br /><br />Rudy

Flames

Seaman

1 more thing please, is that the Gimble bearing?<br /><br />Its the one farthest in the boot to the inside of the boat, the shaft goes through it.<br /><br />Thanks Rudy

DHPMARINE

Captain

Yes,that is the gimbal bearing.It inter-- changes with a Mercruiser one if you don't find OMC<br />DHP

Flames

Seaman

Thanks, I will see what I can find.<br /><br />Rudy