Replacing starter

tarpontrout

Cadet
Need to replace the Starter in my Volvo D4-225-ab

Normally I’d trailer boat out of water and work on it that way however our roads kinda stink right now

how would you go about replacing it in slip? I’m sure I’d need plugs of some sort as I have to remove some water hoses and such … How much of a pain in ass is it ie would it be so much easier to do out of water that it’s better to wait for road conditions to improve?

thanks in advance

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your starter is on the side of the block bolted in place. there should not be any need to plug anything as it is only electrical in nature.

since its buried down low on the starboard side of the motor you need access. to remove the hoses, you should have a seacock on the inlet. in that case, close it.

you will need to disconnect the batteries. if you dont have access to the starter because there are bits of the boat in the way, you may need to pull the motor to get to the starter.

tarpontrout

Cadet
your starter is on the side of the block bolted in place. there should not be any need to plug anything as it is only electrical in nature.

since its buried down low on the starboard side of the motor you need access. to remove the hoses, you should have a seacock on the inlet. in that case, close it.

you will need to disconnect the batteries. if you dont have access to the starter because there are bits of the boat in the way, you may need to pull the motor to get to the starter.
Copy that thx

I am now thinking it may not be the starter anyway as I went to start kicker and not cranking just like main engine. can't be coincidence they both went out at once

all the accessory electronics work fine

Sooo guessing its a connection issue somewhere.... going to check, clean and make sure all connection points are tight

If you have any other ideas or suggestions

tarpontrout

Cadet
Well I’ve cleaned and checked all the connections I can think of …. Also have done voltage drop tests on both positive sides and negative

Still nothing will start😭

Any ideas?

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Also have done voltage drop tests on both positive sides and negative
What did you use for a load if the motor doesn’t crank?

Describe your procedure and test results.

Last edited: