Replacing rollers > bunk..

sincraft

Seaman
I have a roller system on the two ends of the boat that requires that I remove all 5 rollers and replace them...they are all VERY dry rotted. I am thinking of just removing them, and putting a piece of double carpetted water treated wood in their place...just drilling through and bolting the ends...<br />Watcha think?<br />The rollers are rather costly and this is just for an old fishing boat.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Replacing rollers > bunk..

Sure you can replace the rollers with bunks but you are re-inventing the wheel. Most rollers are not too much money if you stick with the plain black rubber ones. The hard plastics (yellow ones) are a lot more cash. I would guess that the rubber ones would be close to the cost of making bunks and carpeting them. Shop around for cheaper rollers.<br /><br />Bob

sincraft

Seaman

yea I did, cheapest ones were 4 a piece...with shipping that's well over 40 bucks..<br /><br />Two boards and some spare carpet, free.<br /><br />Just have to pay for the bolts.<br /><br />S

rwidman

Lieutenant

Originally posted by sincraft:<br /> yea I did, cheapest ones were 4 a piece...with shipping that's well over 40 bucks..<br /><br />
Well, that's gas for one day of boating for me! :rolleyes: <br /><br />BOAT = Break Out Another Thousand.<br /><br />Seriously, if you think you'll still be able to launch and retrieve the boat then anything that works will be fine. Replacing the rollers guarantees the same performance and will take fewer hours of your time.

sincraft

Seaman

Now you HAD to go ahead and mess with my little head when I had it all planned out :) <br /><br />Ill check around..I guess the thought of replacing those little end caps is bothering me. I remember LONG ago having to replace ONE that took over an hour...I dont have 10 hours to put into this boat for rollers,...I'm lucky to eck out 10 hours of free time per week TOTAL.<br />I dont know how people do it..I work 45 hours per week, and of course have family responsibilities (not many though..I keep it mellow) - and still barely find time to keep the house from falling over, the bills paid, and enough time to actually do something that doesn't resemble WORK. ARGH.<br /><br />S

Outrage 19

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it helps you make up your mind bunks give better support on the hull. They spreads the weight out over a larger area. Just my $.02.