replacing prop issues

Smedley

Cadet
I am replacing the prop on my '82 Mercury 40 hp. The prop that is on it now (existing prop)is not OEM. I have the OEM prop and one like it with different pitch (teh good one). The OEM prop is chewed up pretty bad and I don't want to use it. The existing prop is in similar condition. The other prop is fine. My Problem: When I took off the existing prop, I noticed that it is quite a bit smaller diameter than the good prop and the OEM. I put the good one on to be sure that it would fit and it does. I'm guessing that the existing prop is about a 9.5-10" diameter the good one and OEM are 10 1/2 or there about and have bigger blades. The existing prop has a locking tab on it where the good one does not. I have the repair manual and it looks like when the existing prop was put on, the aft thrust hub was omitted. Now I think I need it for the good prop. The existing prop's sleeve is longer and the outer washer wasn't needed. Can I use some other type of spacer? Does it matter if there is some play in the prop in and out not side to side? How will I get the good prop locked in?<br /><br />This is the existing prop<br />
S5300049Custom.jpg
<br /><br />
S5300051Custom.jpg
<br /><br />the good prop (no retainer for lock tab)<br />
S5300052Custom.jpg
<br /><br />the three together (good, OEM, existing)<br />
S5300053Custom.jpg

walleyehed

Admiral
Re: replacing prop issues

The other 2 props are not for that application...<br />The props must have the 2 pins in the hub for the lockplate.<br />I don't think there is an aft splined washer for that application...I had the same engine on the same boat...it now has a 70 on it, but the 40 and 70 (1983) both use the same prop.<br />28-70HP is the application in 13 spline.<br />If you have a dealer near, check on the aft washer...<br />p.s. Good chance with the diameter of those 2 props, they are much lower in pitch..that design is for heavy loads so don't expect any speed if you get them to fit.

Smedley

Cadet

walleyhed, thanks for the quick reply. the numbers on the existing prop are 48-73136-13P the good prop is a 48-61816A1-12P....does either one of these sound right for this application? I believe that you are right abiout the pins on the hub. The Seloc manual shows an aft washer but I think that is a generalization for how to remove any prop.

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What animals live in your waters? They always eat off ONLY 1 ear of a prop. I would need a 100 props to match yours.

walleyehed

Admiral

13P should be close..<br />The 73136 series is for 1977-up..<br />The 61816 is for 1972-1976, 40, 50, 60 and 65HP engines...<br />Your original (73136-13P) is a 10-3/8X13. The Michigan P/N is 031017<br />A 10-3/4X12P is what I used on my 40 on the tracker at 3600ft elevation, and an 11 Pitch would have been better suited in my case.<br />at 500-700ft, the 13P should be fine.

Smedley

Cadet

Thanks again Walleyehed. I think I found a S/S pretty cheap. Just waiting for the guy to get back to me. He said he thought it was a 17 pitch. What are your thoughts? Is there a cross reference from OEM aluminum to S/S so I can make sure I'm getting the right one?<br /><br />cyclops....the bites out of both of those props are courtesy of my dad, who used to own this boat. One of them got chewed up on a cable when, for some unknown reason, he tried to back up into a boat slip. The other one was probably the result of an equal amount of stupidity! That's why I rescued the boat from him...he's expensive!

Smedley

Cadet

P.S. Walleyehed...that boat with a 70 hp on it would just scream across the water. Did you have to upgrade the transom any to hang the bigger motor?<br /><br />Any thoughts on a tilt/trim unit for it. It's got power t/t now.....all the power I got in my arms.

walleyehed

Admiral

CMC makes a TNT that works real well on this size application.<br />A 17P SS ....hummm...that sounds very steep.<br />I would highly recommend a tachometer if you don't have one. I shot for 6200 with both the 40 and the 70 by myself, and this was perfect for 2 people running about 5900 and about 5800 with 3 on board.<br />I did reinforce the transom, but I would have to take a pic to show you how it was done...pretty simple actually...it was designed to eliminate twist as the 70 only weighs about 20lbs more than the 40.

Smedley

Cadet

Dont' have a Tach but would be willing to got one installed. Is that soemthing I can do myself or would it be better to take it to a shop? <br /><br />with a 17p I would lose RPM but possibly gain speed right?<br /><br />You mentioned elevation in one of your responses. what effect does this have on prop performance. Sorry, I don't know much about the physics of boats. This is the first boat I've ever owned and am learning by trial and error.

walleyehed

Admiral

Altitude and high temps affect engine performance greatly.<br />For every 1000ft in elevation, about a 3% decrease in power applies. so at 3600ft, I have lost 12-15% of rated power, so you end-up dropping pitch to compensate for elevation, to get max RPM back from sea-level.