Replacing older Merc trim cylinders

TurboK9

Cadet
A few weeks ago I was lucky enough to acquire a non-running, but very solid '79 Grady 205 GulfStream. After much work, rebuilding the engine, replacing the lights, rebuilding the switch and guage panels, etc she runs nicely and is all rewired, everything working, except the power trim. After an exhaustive search of related issues here on the forum (IBoats forum is awesome! Thanks people!), I have come to the conclusion that the pump (Prestolite single solenoid) is good, but the cylinders need to go, she goes up but not down, and disconnected the cylinders can barely be moved... boat sat 9 years w/ drive up. I plan to replace the hoses as well.

Anyway! These are the Mercury 1 cylinders. 2 connections, both on the same end. Cylinder opens by a cap that screws to the outside wall of the cylinder, not the Alpha1 style 'insert' cap. Now, can I replace these with a newer type cylinder? If so, does anyone know the current part #? Will any of the SEI cylinders work? I can't rebuild as I have tried opening both, and it isn't going to happen short of a plasma torch, haha.

I believe the OEM part number for the ones on the boat was 45706A14.

Just gotta get the trim working and I go boating!

jtybt

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing older Merc trim cylinders

You probably have a build-up of salts and minerals under the scrapper washer in the end cap. There's also the possible problem of electrolysis eating away some of the aluminum at the hydraulic fittings. It usually visable.

If the end cap is the type with spline like ridges and removes on the outside, these hydraulic units are completely re-buildable. Everything unscrews. Drain all the fluid. heat the end cap and remove. be careful of fire.. The re-seal kits are cheap, They contain all the O-rings 'n stuff to do one cylinder.

It's an easy fix. If you decide to go this route, ask and someone will walk you thru it.

TurboK9

Cadet

Heat it is then!

I put the little boogers butt end in a vice and threw a hefty pipewrench on it without heat and about dislocated my shoulders before I gave up. I'm going to the HW store for a torch. I'll let you know if they pop for me.

Thanks for the reply!

TurboK9

Cadet

Update:

Back from hardware store, fire up torch, heat the *&%^ out of the splined cap. Throw on a 24" pipe wrench. Straaaaaain to turn the cap off. Cylinder butt end pops out of vice. I pitch forward and whack the side of my head on the corner of a steel work table. Cuts are minor, but the bruise is gonna suck.

I'm taking them to a shop to see if they can pop em open. If not, garbage heap they go.

Ouch.

Thanks anyway!