Replacing old titl/trim with a new one?

Rangerbilt

Cadet
I have a 1983 Mercury 150HP with an old tilt/trim assembly. The hydraulic reservoir currently sets inside the boat. I would like to replace it with a new self contain tilt/trim. What would it take? Any infor would be greatly appreciated.

Fishin4fun

Seaman
Re: Replacing old titl/trim with a new one?

If you find out on this one, I too would like to know. I want to do the same upgrade.

Rangerbilt

Cadet

fishn4fun: what kind of engine are you trying to upgrade? So far the dealer that I went to, told me that I'm better off buying a complete engine. Then he tried to sell me a 6000.00 dollar engine. I said no way! My old engine is very reliable, easy to start and haven't have any problem with it. I just want to upgrade my tilt/trim assy because it's the only thing that's been a pain in the butt for me. <br /><br />I'm not giving up though... I'll keep you updated soon as I found something out.

Fishin4fun

Seaman

I have a 79 90hp merc not any problems at all, just would like more space inside my boat under the splashwell for a larger fuel tank. I have a spare 1984 115hp block, complete with wiring, I am looking at installing when and IF my 90hp ever goes out.

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Fishing4fun: You are lucky for not having any problem with your engine and tilt/trim. I didn't have any problem with mine until I have them (dealer)installed a trim switch at the back of my boat so it's easier to put the transom saver. I only have to use the boat twice after they installed the additional trim switch then the tilt/trim quit. I've returned it to the dealer and they told me that the trim motor is done for. So currently I'm without a boat and they are curretnly deciding how much to charge me to fix the trim motor. I'm suddenly realizing how true what they say about owning a boat. It's a "money pit" LOL!!

bubbakat

Captain

Ranger get you one of these right here off iboats and you will never regret it. I have one on my boat and am very pleased with it.<br />
13581_160303.jpg
<br /><br /> http://www.iboats.com/mall/index.cg...s=power+tilt+and+trim&submit.x=44&submit.y=10

Fishin4fun

Seaman

Check ebay, they have those trim motors come up weekly, pretty affordable too, I picked up a spare for when mine goes out for $45.00 I am sure you can find a similar deal!

Rangerbilt

Cadet

bubbakat: I checked the specs on that CMC tilt/trim and it only supports up to 130HP. This would have been a great alternative. On what kind of motor did you have yours on? Thanks!<br /><br />Fishing4fun: I frequent Ebay looking for a tilt/trim motor. So far I couldn't any that would work for my setup. There was a complete assembly with the hydraulic reservoir but it was for a mercruiser, I asked the seller and he couldn't tell me if it would work for me. The dealer that I have here is not very helpful. All they can think of is selling me the original which caused 900-1100 dollars installed. But I wa able to talked them to rebuilding my trim motor. Even that it would cost me 250.00 installed. Oh well, I guess I have no choice after all. The whites are running and I'm missing it all. LOL!!!

Fishin4fun

Seaman

I think the mercruiser one should work. You will have to mount your hydrolic contraption to the bottom of it though. Ask the seller for photos. But as long as it has the same number of electronic hookups, it should work. My Merc Dealer is great, they are the ones that told me this, I called them since your mechanic seems to want to know the depth of your wallet, not how to keep you happy and on the water!

Fishin4fun

Seaman

I my mechanic is looking to see if he has a used one in good shape. If he does I will put you in contact with him.

Mike.

Recruit

Hey Bubbakat<br />What kind of motor did you install that CMC tilt and trim on? I've been looking at that unit to install on my 76 Merc 115.Was it hard to install or did you have it done?If so what did it cost to have installed?Any info appreciated.<br />Mike.

bubbakat

Captain

Mike I installed it my self and did it in about two hours. That unit is built a whole lot stronger then it showed in the pictures. I put it on a 1976 rude that weighs in at 296 lbs Hoists that motor up like it ain't even there.<br /> You won't be sorry you bought it. I love it.<br />don't know how I got along without it.I posted some pics of it on another thread so if you would like to see let me know.

Rangerbilt

Cadet

Fishing4fun. I was looking at that pump assy also but I wasn't sure if it's going to work for my set up. So I didn't bid. Anyway, my dealer is charging me 250.00 to rebuild the motor. I'm supposed to pick up my boat today. I hope that this fix last me a while before it fails again. I really would like to replace my old trim with the newer self contain one. But I guess it's not possible unless I replaced the whole motor. Again thanks you for your help.