replacing my rear dashboard

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class
I need to find some material to replace the rear dashboard in a '67 porsche. This will be my second attempt.

The first try I used a hard finished pressed wood product I found at home depot. I put black leather on it and it looked pretty good. I didn't cut it large enough and the rest of it curled in the sun.

This time I was thinking about rebuilding the whole piece, but it has about a 75 degree bend in it to meet the top back of the rear seats.

I need to find a product that I can bend to make it fit. I am still planning to cover it with black finished leather to match the seats in the car.

I am not worried about the sun this time, I plan on keeping the car out of it as much as possible. It sat in my mechanic's yard ofr a month last summer trying to find a new intake manifold. We found one and now I am left with the curled rear dash, looks horrible.

Any Ideas wold be awsome, thanks

Spud

Last edited:

i386

Captain
Re: replacing my rear dashboard

That would be a challenging fiberglass layup project but it might work. Sheetmetal might be another option.

My first thought was the thin fiberboard stuff. Hrm what is it called? Luan? Masonite? That stuff's pretty close to what they make those rear decks out of anyway.

I hope you get some good ideas. Good luck.:)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Visit home depot or a hardware store and get a thin (1/8") piece of storm window plastic or lexan. It will not curl and it will take the contours and flex..... glue your leather ot whatever to it.

If you are using real leather and it gets damp and dies in the sun .... it will shrink and "pull" whatever it is attached to.

If you have the time and resources..... be sure to dynomat under the piece you put in for sound control.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Bob, I will start my hunt for those products, what do I use for the soundproofing? I am not familar with the term you used.

Spud

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Dynomat is a commercial name for soundproofing material.

OLDSPUD

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks again, I keep learning crap everytime I login.