Replacing my '89 4.3L Merc.

robwelleosu

Cadet
My engine overheated due to impeller shreds getting stuck in the engine! I've only the boat a year, when I changed the impeller for the first time the old one was intact, so who knows how long those pieces have been in there. Oh well, on with the question.

I found a good engine and am going to go check it out. It's a '91 4.3L Alpha one Gen II. My question is will I have any trouble bolting the new engine up to my Gen 1 Alpha Drive? Or will i need to pull the bell housing off my old one and use it? Also, will the engine alignment be ok, as long as I don't move the motor mount bolt height.

Current Serial #: 0C536965 outdrive #: 0C68155820130830_191508.jpg20130902_112729.jpg20130902_112746.jpg20130830_190045.jpg20130902_113435.jpg

Last edited:

robwelleosu

Cadet
Re: Replacing my '89 4.3L Merc.

Oh. one other thing. What do i need to do to test run the engine on the crate? Water, battery, fuel obviously. What about the electrical? do you have to loop back some of the pins on the harness?

Bondo

Staff member

My engine overheated due to impeller shreds getting stuck in the engine! I've only the boat a year, when I changed the impeller for the first time the old one was intact, so who knows how long those pieces have been in there. Oh well, on with the question.

I found a good engine and am going to go check it out. It's a '91 4.3L Alpha one Gen II. My question is will I have any trouble bolting the new engine up to my Gen 1 Alpha Drive? Or will i need to pull the bell housing off my old one and use it? Also, will the engine alignment be ok, as long as I don't move the motor mount bolt height.

Current Serial #: 0C536965 outdrive #: 0C681558View attachment 210704View attachment 210705View attachment 210706View attachment 210707View attachment 210708

Ayuh,... Anytime the motor is disturbed, it needs to be realigned, so, Ya, you gotta align it,...

You'll also need to use the T-stat housin' off the old motor, the Gen.II drives use a different 1,...

Other than that, it should be a drop-in, plug, 'n play swap,...

To run the motor on the floor, just hook the (+) to the Coil's (+), 'n it'll run,...

No need to mess with the cannon plug at all,...

Volphin

Lieutenant

How many miles on the donor motor? I suggest finding a 99 or 2000 4.3L truck engine if you can. That way you get the benefit of Vortec Heads. Add an intake and Carb and you will be boating with more power for years to come.

robwelleosu

Cadet

Yeah just since i posted this my wife nixed the used engine idea. so it looks like i'll have to wait till next year and buy a reman. I had already been exploring that option and found a few. What's you all's feelings on marine engine 4 less vs. michigan motorz or us engine.

these couple of engines really peaked my interest but unsure about what an extended base engine means? and maybe someone can explain what all i need to replace to make a newer engine fit my old outdrive.

4.3L/262 New Vortec Marine Engine---- $3895.00

New Complete Vortec Base Engine.4.3L/262 C.I.D. Marine Engine This will Re-Power all GM 4.3L I/O and inboard applications from 1982-2007. Please take notice our base engine includes : Oil Pan /Valve Covers/Timing Cover/Circ W/P, Harmonic Balancer, 4bbl Intake Manifold,New Marine 4bbl Carb,New Delco Iginition,New Delco Marine Spark Plugs.4bbl Vortec Intake Cast Iron marine intake manifold,Harmonic Balancer,New Cast Alluminum Oil Pan, New Vortec Style Valve Covers, New Timing Cover, New Circ Pump, 14" Marine Flywheel !!!
This Engine is completely Sim-Tested.No trouble Installation !!!!
Email us any questions you may have! Engine comes with a Full Part & Labor Warranty. P/U available.
Shipping is $295- to a business location or Dock P/U !!!

or the MPI version

4.3L New MPI Marine Engine $3495.00

New 4.3L V6 Vortec Marine Engine. Comes complete with fuel system,oil pan,timing cover,circ pump. Shipping is additional and cost $249- anywhere in the U.S. Comes with a Full one year part & labor warranty. Ignition,spark plugs and oil filter not included, but can be added.

both options are on marineengine4less.com and search 4.3L

Last edited:

Volphin

Lieutenant

Oh and here's the post that my wife is passing on so if anyone else is looking for a complete bargain on a motor here's your chance! The guy was going to sell the engine for $500 :facepalm:

1991 Mercruiser V6 4.3L Engine with Outrdrive for Sale

That one would bolt right up with no issues. I'd check the compression and hear it run on the stand before I bought it though. Rapido sells long blocks and short blocks too. I like Michigan Motorz too. What I went with on my repower was a shortblock 4.3L non balance shaft and Vortec heads. Maybe MM will put you one together like that. Or work a deal where you buy the heads separate.

1ruralmailman

Seaman

i went with rapido short block in mine three years ago.couldnt be happier was very reasonable air lifted to my door in two weeks in the middle of summer.was a simple in and out swap.good luck