Replacing keel roller with boat

Mustang67ford

Seaman Apprentice
I am going to upgrade my 2 forward most keel rollers and brackets. 17' deep V fiberglass boat. How do I go about this with the boat on the trailer. I am assuming I cant use a floor jack to push up the bottom of boat to remove pressure from the current roller. Assuming i do roller at a time without supporting the boat, Once i get new roller in stalled, i can use floor jack to push roller up some as I assume the boat to pushing down on the roller some. how do I know how much up force to use? Thanks

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Secure the trailer to the TV. Loosen the winch cable. Jack up the boat with a good jack and then replace the rollers. Leave them in the down position and then lower the boat. Put the jack under the roller brackets, one at a time and raise them up until you feel firm contact on the keel. Then tighten the bolts.

Been there done that many times.

Mustang67ford

Seaman Apprentice
Secure the trailer to the TV. Loosen the winch cable. Jack up the boat with a good jack and then replace the rollers. Leave them in the down position and then lower the boat. Put the jack under the roller brackets, one at a time and raise them up until you feel firm contact on the keel. Then tighten the bolts.

Been there done that many times.
I figured jacking the boat up at a single point on the keel might damage the fiberglass.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I figured jacking the boat up at a single point on the keel might damage the fiberglass.
The keel is the strongest part of the hull. If it isn't, then the boat is rotten and compromised and isn't much good anyway.

That's why keel rollers are intended to support the hull , not (LOL) so you don't hit the frame (LOL).

(Of course, I would place a carpet or block of wood on the jack so you don't cause a scratch)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I used the tongue jack to to raise the bow and placed some wood blocks under the keel behind the rollers and gently lowered the bow until the keel was resting on the wood. replaced the rollers, raised the bow and moved the blocks under the roller bracket and lowered the bow until the roller contacted the keel. Tightened the bracket and repeated for the other roller.

I tried using a jack and after lifting the boat off the rollers and looking, thought that ain't safe.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I used the tongue jack to to raise the bow and placed some wood blocks under the keel behind the rollers and gently lowered the bow until the keel was resting on the wood. replaced the rollers, raised the bow and moved the blocks under the roller bracket and lowered the bow until the roller contacted the keel. Tightened the bracket and repeated for the other roller.

I tried using a jack and after lifting the boat off the rollers and looking, thought that ain't safe.
Good idea, unless there is a proper tongue weight or the rollers are not already contacting the keel. In that case, once the keel contacts the wood, the trailer tongue won't go down any more and you will not have gained any ground.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Good idea, unless there is a proper tongue weight or the rollers are not already contacting the keel. In that case, once the keel contacts the wood, the trailer tongue won't go down any more and you will not have gained any ground.
Tongue weight is zero. Block the trailer tires is the step I forgot to include and the trailer coupler isn't on the ball. When the keel rested on the wood blocks, the rollers were clear and the trailer tongue dropped as low as I wanted or needed. I removed and reinstalled the motor the same way using the tongue jack.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Tongue weight is zero. Block the trailer tires is the step I forgot to include and the trailer coupler isn't on the ball. When the keel rested on the wood blocks, the rollers were clear and the trailer tongue dropped as low as I wanted or needed. I removed and reinstalled the motor the same way using the tongue jack.
Yes of course, there is no tongue weight since the boat is propped up. I meant tongue weight before propping.

Regardless, I did that as well and the tongue would not go down by itself because the back of the boat was pushing down on the back of the trailer, which in turn pushed the front up.

I guess its all about where the wood is and what the overall balance of the trailer is. So go try it. If it works, good. If not the ball on the truck can always be plan B.

sloopy

Commander
Chock trailer, lower tongue all the way, place shoring at the stern, raise tongue until it is lifted. Place auto jack stands around trailer for safety.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Chock trailer, lower tongue all the way, place shoring at the stern, raise tongue until it is lifted. Place auto jack stands around trailer for safety.
That's the opposite of what needs to be done. The rollers are at the other end.