Replacing Gimbal in water

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice
Maybe a silly question, and I can just think of some of the potential issues and problems that could arise. But I'll ask anyway.

Is it a good idea to remove the outdrive to replace the gimbal bearing and bellows with the boat on a beach?

Brandon

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Replacing Gimbal in water

No.... Do it on the trailer...

ENSIGN

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don't even think about it!

BrandonS

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks. Just thought I'd ask.

Also, since I know the gimbal is bad, how long can I safely operate it? I have about 1-2 miles to the closest ramp.

It is an Alpha-1 outdrive, and only groans when I turn the wheel. The gimbal has been underwater before.

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks. Just thought I'd ask.

Also, since I know the gimbal is bad, how long can I safely operate it? I have about 1-2 miles to the closest ramp.

It is an Alpha-1 outdrive, and only groans when I turn the wheel. The gimbal has been underwater before.
Why not ask someone for a tow for 20 bucks? If not, then grease the hell out of it, & u may be ok. I said maybe, it's your call & we can't hear it.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If it only groans when in a turn i see no reason it won't make it to the trailer.
Take it easy and go for it.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

unless of course it seizes or already has and takes out the shaft and or housing..... I'd tow it

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Idle along and use your oar to steer(take someone with you) should be ok as long as your not going over wake speed.

boat127

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i would tow it in. remove the drive i will bet the u joints an gmal bearing need replacing. you sad the gimbal has been under water. when did it go under water and why did it go under water? if the gimal has been under water then was the starter under water? could be a ripped u joint bellow or was water in the bilge?

180shabah

Rear Admiral

tow it, trailer it, fix it

THEN

enjoy it.