Replacing exhaust

Boat US is having a sale this weekend and I want to replace the manifold/risers on my 97 Sundancer 5.7L motor. As they are original and the boat runs in salt water I think it's definitely time to change them!! Can anyone tell what exactly needs to be replaced? Are manifolds and risers the same thing? And do I also need the elbows?? What else?? Thanks in advance for any help!

navigator336

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Replacing exhaust

Being a '97 and in salt water use you must have fresh water cooling. The question is are the manifolds fresh or raw water cooled? If fresh water cooled, you might be able to go another 2-4 years before thinking about replacing them. If raw water cooled,definitely change both and right away as you are well past the safety range on risers. If you have elbows, those will need to be replaced.

dcpcccrc

Seaman

if you pull off the manifold wright down the part number if you pull of the riser wright the part number and so on anything you pull off and think needs replaced wright the part number down so you can order the right one

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I would recommend that every threaded bolt hole be cleaned out with a tap. Based on the heat and corrosion you will appreciate it in the long run.<br /><br />Bob

KaGee

Admiral

Originally posted by Bob_VT:<br /> I would recommend that every threaded bolt hole be cleaned out with a tap. Based on the heat and corrosion you will appreciate it in the long run.<br /><br />Bob
And new bolts!!! (tipped with a little antisieze)