Replacing deck carpeting

Denis Kansier Sr.

Seaman Apprentice
I'm planning to redo my boat carpeting and wondered what type of carpeting could be used for the gunnels and flooring. The regular indoor/outdoor stuff seems to be too stiff to bend around some of the corners. Has anyone done a project like this?

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Replacing deck carpeting

When I did mine, I got carpeting from Lowes. It was listed as indoor/outdoor. Instead of being the plastic grass type stuff, it was a course fabric. Sort of like the stuff they use in car interiors. The only draw back I've found was that it tends to hold water and mildews easier.

philtheskipper

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you must use carpet I would use marine carpet. I ordered mine online and it didn't cost too much. It's also usually available at the major boating stores.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

I would never put carpet in a boat again, I stripped the carpet out of my fishing boat, and had Line-ex (the spray in pick up bed lining, there is also Rhino) sprayed in it, it is all that carpet is not, it is easy to clean, does not absorb water, and does not mildew. :D :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I like Lakeman's suggestion. Doesn't hold water or stink up the neighborhood either.<br /><br />Get it done in a light color. The black gets pretty hot in the sun.

nitsuj

Chief Petty Officer

This is a good idea. I may try it. I replaced the carpet in my Glastron, 6 or 7 years ago, but for the life of me, I can't remember what was under it. Is it plywood? What are you guys putting down before you spray on the bed liner? I wouldn't think you'd want to put it on wood.

lakeman1999

Chief Petty Officer

If the wood is dry and sound, it will go on it fine. :D :D