replacing carrier in lower alpha1-gen2

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class
resealing everything in lower unit but can't pry the carrier loose. any suggestions?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: replacing carrier in lower alpha1-gen2

Have you looked at the oem servie manual and seen the special tool used to remove the carrier? I will at least give you some idea of what you need to do to pull the carrier out.
There are lots of special tools for those drives. Don't think you can rebuild one without them, you can't.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don, the manual says to pry it out with two screwdrivers. not so specialized. but it won't come out.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

drive shaft seal carrier yes you can sometimes pry it out. be careful dont chip the housing and its easy to do.
propshaft seal and bearing carrier DO NOT pry out and must be removed with the proper tools and vocabulary.
which carrier are we disscussing on a monitor?

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the driveshaft seal, under the water pump. very stubborn. not trying to rebuild the carrier seals. bot a complete carrier w/seal already installed. just trying to remove the old carrier and install new one.

wanna-be

Petty Officer 3rd Class

is there a special plyer or pulley that will pull it off? back in the day when block ice was common, we used ice thongs to lift or move the block. wish i had dads now.

tractoman

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used a sharp ended tack puller that dug into the sides of the carrier, and a thin piece of wood to pry on to protect the lower unit.