replacing bunk brackets

ALAG3

Seaman
I have a 1998 17' Sea Ray on a trailer and need to replace the bunk brackets. My question is is there any easy way to take the boat off the trailer in my driveway so I can work on the trailer? I figure there is an easy way to do this, but I can't figure it out. Thanks!

dajohnson53

Lieutenant Commander
Re: replacing bunk brackets

There's a couple of ways I've read on these forums but the one that seemed to make the best sense to me is to make a set of temporary bunks out of 2X4 or 2X6, place them under the boat in a way that will allow you to jack the boat up (using these bunks) to lift it off the trailer. Then you need to safely crib these bunks so that the boat will not fall off. You need the material, some jacks (which can be borrowed, rented or purchased), and a safe way to crib it. <br /><br />Myself, I just take the boat to the landing, remove it from the trailer and park it somewhere it can sit for an hour or two, move the trailer to the parking lot, do the work and then load up the boat. I do it during the week when the ramp isn't busy. Sometimes I use this sort of thing as an excuse to take a 1/2 day off work (always involves a boat ride too!).

BillP

Captain

I use a jack under the bow or on one side of the hull at a time to get the boat off the bunks and rollers. It takes 30 seconds to pump the jack and place wood under the hull for spacers. It's easier to adjust and position new bunks and rollers with the boat ON the trailer too.

ALAG3

Seaman

Thanks for the advice. I did some reading on the internet about this topic and found an article that said to do the following: Put the trailer tongue on the ground, which raises the back of the boat. Then, I put jack stands with 2x4's on them under the back of the boat. These need to be as close to the bottom of the boat as possible, and on a flat spot. Then, place floor jack under the keel of the boat as near the front as you can. Place a 2x4 on top of the jack stand to prevent damage to the hull of the boat and jack the boat up until the back is resting on the jack stands and the boat is off of the trailer. Next, roll the trailer forward until a cross-member hits the jack. Let the boat back down on the trailer and move the jack to the other side of the cross-member and repeat process. Only took three moves of the jack and the trailer was out from under the boat. During the latter stages of the process, the tongue of the boat trailer will raise up when the weight of the boat is put on it, but no big deal as long as you are expecting it. After making all repairs to the trailer, I reversed the process and put the trailer back underneath the boat, adjusted the new bunks and was done! This was much easier than I imagined. Hope all this makes sense to someone like me who was looking for an easy way to do this!