Replacing Alpha 1 impeller

poolmedic

Cadet
Gentlemen,

I'm getting ready to replace the impeller on my 1992 Alpha 1 outdrive. I was wondering, are there any additional gaskets/O-rings that need to be replaced other than those for the water pump housing. In particular, anything where the gear housing and drive housing meet.

Thanks for any help,

Randy

1992 Regal Valanti 200 5.0L 200hp

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacing Alpha 1 impeller

Yes, there is a quad ring that goes between the upper and lower, usually orange with a square cross section and about a 1/2" OD.
Without it, you WILL get water in the gear lube and the gear lube will leak out.
I know it comes in the Mercruiser water pump kits, not sure about any of the aftermarket kits. It's PN is 26-45577 1

PS. Be sure to put in your information that you have an Alpha I Gen II drive. Not everyone knows the standard Alpha I drives stopped production in 90.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Have a suitable size drain pan available to keep from making a mess from the oil leaking out while the lower unit is off and refill the gearcases and resevior when you are finished.

MurphysLaw

Cadet

Make sure that you fill it from the bottom plug up, you cant fill it from the top, but its not a hard thing to do, should be only a 2 or so hour job

poolmedic

Cadet

Thanks everybody,

I called the local dealer and he has the orange Quad-ring I need and I'll be tackling the project this week. I've changed the lube before as part of my routine maintenance, but never the impeller.

One more question, should the gear shift be in the forward position before I drop the gearcase or leave it in Neutral?

Thank again,

Randy

Alpha I Gen II outdrive