Replacement tilt trim senders

richard99

Seaman Apprentice
Greetings, all - <br /><br />Having replaced everything from the transom back on my '86 Four Winns (Merc 140, Alpha One), I've just bought the new version tilt/trim senders. I know this was sorta addressed in another post, but to be completely certain - the replacement units have no color coding on the wires. <br />Can I assume that "polarity" doesn't matter?<br /><br />Also, I'd like to install a tilt gauge since the boat never had one. Could this be as easy as getting the gauge and hooking up to the sender? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

NateCCIE

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replacement tilt trim senders

When I did mine on my 93 Bravo one, they had bullet connectors that where of different sexes and sizes. It seems to me that they would have to be polarized.<br /><br />-Nate

richard99

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, the tilt sender has that feature, but not the trim position sender. It connects with identical bullet connectors to a purple with white stripe wire and another wire for which I can't recall the color scheme.

Ralph 123

Captain

The trim sender is just a variable resistor. 167 ohms up, 10 ohms down for Merc. One side of the sender is grounded and the other to the "S" terminal of a compatible gauge. They are not polarity sensitive...<br /><br />Take a look at this for a schematic and description:<br /> http://www.tflx.com/pdf/trimsy~1.pdf