Replacement starter coils '58 flying scott 60

Captain_Rum

Cadet
coils on my motor look awful- does anyone know if there is a compatible/comparable unit that would replace the vintage units and could be purchased new?

Attachments

• IMG_20210615_193351870.jpg
    IMG_20210615_193351870.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 7

ryan 98

Petty Officer 3rd Class
coils on my motor look awful- does anyone know if there is a compatible/comparable unit that would replace the vintage units and could be purchased new?
I saw your other post on this motor also. I wouldn't be surprised if those coils are still good. I'd be a lot more worried about the distributor set up on it. Points obviously, so wear items that might need replacement and be hard to find. Also the charging coil would be a bit of a concern up under the flywheel. If all of that's still good and serviceable the actual ignition coils are not a big issue. If they were bad, any coil with similar specs will run. And being a points based system I would think there's a tonne of available coils that would work just fine. But you would be surprised, those coils are likely still good. You can ohm across the primary and secondarys of them and if their all pretty similar readings just clean up the ground points for them and throw em back on

Captain_Rum

Cadet
that's really helpful. I am hopeful that the points are good, the boat that the motor came with is registered until 2021 and there was a pair of used points in the spare parts bin, so fingers crossed that they are good.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
3 sets of points on that motor. Same as used on Mercury and briggs and stratton. Easy to find. Vintage coils are expensive you could try Laings outboards.