Replacement for a 4 wire voltage regulator

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice
Can I replace the 4 wire voltage regulator on my 94 merc 90 with the 6 wire one?

Laddies

Banned
Re: Replacement for a 4 wire voltage regulator

I think you are talking about a rectifier 1 red-2 yellow and 1 grey wire with a regular if so tha anwser is yes

Dale002

Seaman Apprentice

it's a rectifier/voltage regulator in one. How would I connected it to the 4 wire harness? The new one has a red wire and black wire that the 4 wire one does not have. I would guess the black goes to ground but, I'm u nsure were the extra red wire would go.

j_martin

Admiral

it's a rectifier/voltage regulator in one. How would I connected it to the 4 wire harness? The new one has a red wire and black wire that the 4 wire one does not have. I would guess the black goes to ground but, I'm u nsure were the extra red wire would go.

The yellows go to the stator. Both reds go to the battery, usually at the post on the starter solenoid. The black goes to engine ground. The grey goes to the tachometer. If there's a voltage regulator in the old system, discard it. (usually 2 or 3 wires, one connected to the red wire and maybe one to a yellow.)

Good to go.
John