Replacement Capacity Plate

cyberskipper

Cadet
Last weekend I purchased an Old "Imperial" 16 foot tri hull, w/40 hp. Merc. Both supposed to be from '73. Being so old, the Cap.Plate it almost worn off, and useless. Imperial is more then likely out of business,or bought out by some other company. Does anyone out there know where,or how I can get another plate? The Hull is sound, but that 73 motor won't last forever. If/when I have to replace, would like to move up in pwr.but need guidelines so I don't get too much. Back in those days the choices were not what we have today, and the motors not as smooth running, same boat built today, might be capable of a larger pwr. range, but not back then. Hate to be caught with an overpowered boat!

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Replacement Capacity Plate

Moving to Boat Topics.

walleyehed

Admiral

In 1973 the engines were rated at the crankshaft for HP.. now they are rated at the prop, since 1985, I believe, so actually your 40HP is only putting out about 35 at best.<br />The max HP ratings on boats have actually dropped due to the engines being required to be rated at the prop now.<br />There is a USCG formula for figuring max HP, but with your 16ft'r and a 73 40hp, you aren't breaking any laws...

cyberskipper

Cadet

Kenny, I may not be exceeding the limit now, but would like to know how much bigger I can go, if/when I have to replace the old motor. :cool: